Ambiguity with partial derivative notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the ambiguity in the notation for partial derivatives when one variable depends on another. The solution proposed is to define a new function with the dependent variable removed and use this notation to specify which variable is held constant in the differentiation. Another notation, (\frac{ ∂f }{ ∂x })_{y}, is also mentioned as a way to specify which variable is held constant.
perishingtardi
Suppose I have some function f that depends on three variables, namely x, y, and t; i.e.,
[tex]f=f(x,y,t).[/tex]
Now suppose that y depends on x, i.e., [itex]y=y(x)[/itex]. Taking this into account, we see that f is really just a function of two independent variables, x and t. So my question is this: if I write down the partial derivative of f with respect to x, i.e.,
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x},[/tex]
it seems to me that there is ambiguity in whether y is to be held constant or allowed to vary. Perhaps to make it clear we ought to write
[tex]\frac{\partial f(x,y,t)}{\partial x}, \quad \frac{\partial f(x,y(x),t)}{\partial x};[/tex]
the first one means that y is held constant in the differentiation, while the second one means that y should be treated as dependent on x.
It would obviously be wrong to use total derivative notation with straight d's for the second case since there are still two independent variables, x and t.

Is the notation I have used the correct way of distinguishing the two cases, or is there some other way?

I haven't been able to find any info on this question on the internet so thought i might be worth asking :).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi perishingtardi! welcome to pf! :smile:

if there was no t, ie f(x,y),

then the first would be written ∂f/∂x, and the second df/dx​

however, the t stops us doing that,

so i think we have to define a new g(x,t) = f(x,y(x),t),

and then the second is ∂g/∂x :wink:

thanks tiny-tim, i didnt think of that trick although it seems quite obvious now! :)

I think have seen the notation [itex] (\frac{ ∂f }{ ∂x })_{y} [/itex], especially in thermodynamics equations where a lot of variables are interdependent. Here the variables in subscript are held constant.

Related to Ambiguity with partial derivative notation

1. What is partial derivative notation?

Partial derivative notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables while holding the other variables constant. It is usually denoted by ∂ (the partial derivative symbol) followed by the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken.

2. How is partial derivative notation different from regular derivative notation?

Partial derivative notation differs from regular derivative notation in that it takes into account the effect of all other variables on the function. Regular derivative notation, on the other hand, only considers the effect of one independent variable on the function.

3. What is ambiguity in partial derivative notation?

Ambiguity in partial derivative notation refers to situations where it is unclear which variable is being held constant when taking the partial derivative. This can lead to different interpretations and results, making it important to clearly specify which variables are being held constant.

4. How can ambiguity in partial derivative notation be avoided?

Ambiguity in partial derivative notation can be avoided by explicitly stating which variables are being held constant when taking the partial derivative. This can be done by using subscripts or explicitly stating the variables in the notation.

5. Why is ambiguity in partial derivative notation problematic?

Ambiguity in partial derivative notation is problematic because it can lead to incorrect results and interpretations. It can also make it difficult for others to reproduce or understand the calculations and can cause confusion in mathematical models and equations.