Am I on the right track in solving this OpAmp problem?

In summary: I'm in the right track.In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of a circuit involving a 200 ohm resistor and 60 microFarad capacitor in parallel. The resulting transfer function is H(s) = 5 / [ 5 + 200 / (1+s(200)(60^-6)) ], where V+ = Vin for an ideal OP-AMP with very high gain. The use of more parentheses is recommended for universality.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

px1.JPG

Homework Equations

H(s)= Vo / Vi
Ideal op amp:
V+ = V-
Vo = V-

The Attempt at a Solution

To simplify the circuit, I noticed that the 200 ohm resistor and 60 microFarad capacitor are in parallel so:
Zp = (R/sC) / [(1+sRC)/(sC)] = R / [(1+sRC)]

Seeing that the Zp is in series with the 5 ohm resistor, I went ahead and used the voltage divider in search of Vo / Vin for the transfer function:

V- = 5 / [ 5 + (200/1+s(200)(60^-6)) ] * Vo

This is the part where I stopped since I'm not quite certain on how I can relate this to Vin. Can somebody lead me to the right track?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
For an OP-AMP with very high gain (ideally infinite), it causes V+ = V-

For your configuration here, V+ = Vin

NascentOxygen said:
For an OP-AMP with very high gain (ideally infinite), it causes V+ = V-

For your configuration here, V+ = Vin

Okay cool, I get an answer of:

H(s) = 5 / [ 5 + (200/1+s(200)(60^-6)) ]

Does this look correct?

A little clumsy; it is usually written in a more standard form. I think you'd be needing more parentheses there, to make it universally correct.

NascentOxygen said:
A little clumsy; it is usually written in a more standard form. I think you'd be needing more parentheses there, to make it universally correct.
H(s) = 5 / [ 5 + 200 / (1+s(200)(60^-6)) ]

And yes I know I have to make it in standard form, but am just verifying

Last edited:

Related to Am I on the right track in solving this OpAmp problem?

What is the purpose of an OpAmp?

An OpAmp, short for Operational Amplifier, is an electronic device used to amplify and process electrical signals. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and differentiation.

How do I know if my OpAmp circuit is functioning correctly?

To determine if your OpAmp circuit is functioning correctly, you can perform a series of tests such as input/output voltage measurements, frequency response analysis, and stability analysis. These tests can help identify any potential issues or errors in your circuit design.

What are some common problems encountered when using OpAmps?

Some common problems encountered when using OpAmps include noise, instability, and offset voltage. These issues can be caused by improper circuit design, incorrect component selection, or external factors such as temperature and power supply voltage fluctuations.

How can I troubleshoot an OpAmp problem?

To troubleshoot an OpAmp problem, it is important to first identify the specific issue by performing tests and measurements. Then, you can analyze the circuit design and components to determine the root cause of the problem. From there, you can make necessary adjustments or replacements to solve the issue.

What resources are available for solving OpAmp problems?

There are many resources available for solving OpAmp problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and forums. Additionally, many manufacturers provide application notes and datasheets for their OpAmp products, which can be a valuable source of information for troubleshooting and designing with OpAmps.