Algebraic Number Theory, don't understand one step in a given proof

In summary, the conversation discusses understanding a theorem and corollary related to number fields and the discriminant. The confusion arises in taking a term that is a multiple of a prime that ramifies in the ring of integers out of the norm, but this is allowed due to the specific properties of ramified primes in number fields. This clarification should help the person preparing for their exams.
Zoe-b

Homework Statement

Hi, sorry to be a pain, if anyone could help me understand this I'd be very grateful (exams next week, no more revision classes and no tutors I can easily ask...)

Let K be a number field, OK its ring of integers, and Δ(W)2 be the discriminant. Write Z for set of integers, Q for set of rationals.

Homework Equations

Dedekind's Theorem on decomposition of (p) for p a rational prime.
Theorem shown previously in the course that Δ ( Z[a] )2 = ± NormK/Q(m'(a)) where ' denotes derivative, m is the minimal polynomial of a over Z.

Corollary:
If p ramifies then p| Δ ( Z[a] )2

Proof:
If p | [OK : Z[a]] then p| Δ ( Z[a] ). So suppose p does not divide [OK : Z[a]] and so Dedekind's Theorem applies. By Dedekind, is p ramifies, with a factor p2, then n(x) := m(x) (mod p) has a multiple irreducible factor mod h(x) over the finite field with p elements, for which h(a) [itex]\in[/itex] (p, h(a)) = (p). We then have:

m(x) = g(x)2s(x) + pk(x) for some polynomials s, k, so that

m'(x) = g(x) (2g'(x)h(x) + g(x)h'(x)) + pk'(x) = g(x)j(x) + pl(x) say for polynomials j,l.

Thus m'(a) = g(a)j(a) + pb for b [itex]\in[/itex] OK.

It follows that:

NormK/Q(m'(a)) = ∏σ σ(m'(a)) = ∏σ σ(g(a)j(a)) + pβ for some algebraic integer β. ***

(and then some more...)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand most of this, and I understand the bit following, I am stumped at how on the line *** we can take the term that's a multiple of p 'out of' the norm. Norm is multiplicative but not additive, in general, so what allows this step? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your confusion about this step. It may seem counterintuitive to take out a term that is a multiple of p from the norm. However, in this case, we are dealing with a specific situation where p is a prime that ramifies in the ring of integers of a number field K. In this case, the norm is defined as the product of all the conjugates of the element, and since p is a prime that ramifies, it will appear as a factor in all the conjugates. Therefore, we can "take it out" of the norm since it will be present in all the terms. This is a special case and is allowed because of the specific properties of ramified primes in number fields. I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Good luck with your exams!

Related to Algebraic Number Theory, don't understand one step in a given proof

1. What is Algebraic Number Theory?

Algebraic Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of numbers that are solutions to polynomial equations with integer coefficients. It explores the relationships between algebraic numbers, their arithmetic properties, and their extensions.

2. What are the main concepts in Algebraic Number Theory?

The main concepts in Algebraic Number Theory include algebraic integers, algebraic number fields, rings of integers, and class number. Other important concepts include unique factorization, ideal class groups, and Galois theory.

3. How is Algebraic Number Theory used in real-life applications?

Algebraic Number Theory has many applications in cryptography, coding theory, and number theory. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. What is the most challenging aspect of understanding proofs in Algebraic Number Theory?

The most challenging aspect of understanding proofs in Algebraic Number Theory is the abstract nature of the subject. The concepts and techniques used in proofs may not be familiar to those without a strong background in abstract algebra and number theory.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Algebraic Number Theory proofs?

To improve your understanding of Algebraic Number Theory proofs, it is important to have a strong foundation in abstract algebra and number theory. Practice working through problems and proofs, and seek help from a teacher or mentor if needed. It can also be helpful to read multiple sources and explanations of a proof to gain a deeper understanding.