Air Conditioner commissioned without a vacuum pump & N2?

In summary: The compressor damage described here sounds pretty bad. Maybe I should insist on a vacuum pump after all.
rollingstein
Gold Member
I bought a new home AC (split; 1.5 ton) and the tech the company sent to install it didn't seem to have neither a vacuum pump nor a N2 cylinder in his kit.

I am leery. Is it really possible to install an AC without these items? Can he do a reasonable job evacuating the lines & leak testing any other way?

I've stalled the tech for the moment. Should I be looking for a better tech?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are the lines 'pre-charged/evacuated' with some sort of air-tight connection? If not then you need to evacuate/purge the lines to get the moisture out.

Last edited:
nsaspook said:
Are the lines 'pre-charged/evacuated' with some sort of air-tight connection? If not then you need to evacuate/purge the lines to get the moisture out.

Not sure about the lines. I will check. But the refrigerant is inside the out door unit itself. No external charging from a cylinder.

That's not what you meant by "pre charged lines" though, is it?

insightful said:
This isn't a 'mini-split' system, is it? They can come with pre-charged lines.:

How do they do the piping in a pre charged system? Is it possible to bend & join pipes that contain refrigerant inside them?

rollingstein said:
Not sure about the lines. I will check. But the refrigerant is inside the out door unit itself. No external charging from a cylinder.

That's not what you meant by "pre charged lines" though, is it?
They might use pre-charged lines systems with a small auto purge of the gas on the specialized“quick-lock” while the connection is made. Most of my experience is with He cryogenic refrigerant systems where gas purity is pretty important at 10K or lower so all of our lines are purged and pre-charged before installation using special connectors.

Gas-charged lines can be bent. Have you contacted the manufacturer for installation requirements?

Edit: Pre-charged lines seem to be rare. In all cases, most of the refrigerant comes in the outdoor unit.

nsaspook said:
Most of my experience is with He cryogenic refrigerant systems where gas purity is pretty important at 10K or lower

Sounds fancy. May I ask what kind of systems you were cooling so low?

Or would you have to kill me if you told me? :smile:

insightful said:
Have you contacted the manufacturer for installation requirements?

I have. But I haven't heard back yet. This is an LG unit.

rollingstein said:
Sounds fancy. May I ask what kind of systems you were cooling so low?

Or would you have to kill me if you told me? :smile:

It's nothing fancy, mainly for cryogenic pumps for vacuum systems.

Related to Air Conditioner commissioned without a vacuum pump & N2?

1. What is the purpose of using a vacuum pump and N2 when commissioning an air conditioner?

The vacuum pump and N2 are used to remove any air and moisture from the air conditioning system. This ensures that the system is free from contaminants and operates efficiently.

2. What happens if an air conditioner is commissioned without using a vacuum pump and N2?

If an air conditioner is commissioned without using a vacuum pump and N2, the system may not run as efficiently and could potentially experience issues such as decreased cooling capacity and increased energy consumption. It may also lead to premature wear and tear on the unit.

3. Can a vacuum pump and N2 be skipped during the commissioning process?

No, it is not recommended to skip using a vacuum pump and N2 during the commissioning process. It is an essential step in ensuring the proper functioning and longevity of the air conditioning system.

4. How long does it take to commission an air conditioner using a vacuum pump and N2?

The time it takes to commission an air conditioner using a vacuum pump and N2 can vary depending on the size of the system and the specific procedures being followed. However, it typically takes several hours to complete the process.

5. Can a vacuum pump and N2 be used on any type of air conditioning system?

Yes, a vacuum pump and N2 can be used on most types of air conditioning systems. However, it is always best to consult the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines before performing any maintenance or commissioning procedures.