Aerodynamics- Coefficient of Drag

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the drag coefficient (CD) using different equations. The first equation includes a term for CD0, which is the profile drag of a wing of finite length. This can be obtained through wind-tunnel tests. The second equation does not include CD0, but instead has a term for CL0, which is the lift coefficient at zero angle of attack. These values are necessary for calculating the drag coefficient accurately.
tsukuba

Homework Statement

Hello, Let's say I was given a problem where I have to calculate CD

I find everything except CD
Now, CD = CD0 + K CL2
I know how to calculate K but I don't know what CD0 is. Would that be a given? or do I have to find it myself? If so, how?

Then there's another formula for CD which is
= CDmin + K (CL - CL0 )2

In this case what is CL0

Thanks for your help

Homework Equations

D=T= 1/2 ρ V2 S CD

The Attempt at a Solution

No solution required. Just need an explanation as to how I get those numbers

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever dealing with equations, it is necessary to let the textbook define the variables - as not all textbooks use the same definitions. All that said, in aerodynamics, it is normal to define the drag coefficient as the sum of the profile drag and the induced drag.
CD = Cd + k CL2
The left side of this equation applies to wings of fixed length. The first term on the RHS is the profile drag and it is usually defined as the drag coefficient associated with an "infinite wing" length - that is to say, what you obtain when measuring drag on a wing that spans the width of a wind-tunnel. The second term on the RHS is the induced drag, and results from the fact that a wing of finite length has more drag than a wing of infinite length. Therefore, if this is what your equation is referring to, then the CD0 term in your question is the profile drag, and you would obtain it by finding wind-tunnel tests for the wing you are considering. NACA was started to provide such things.

However, as profile drag itself follows the same basic curve as the total drag, it is also possible that your equation is being applied to a wing of infinite length. In that case, CD0 would simply be the drag coefficient when CL = 0. (ie the intercept of the curve with the CD axis).

I hope this helps.

Related to Aerodynamics- Coefficient of Drag

1. What is the Coefficient of Drag?

The Coefficient of Drag, also known as the drag coefficient, is a dimensionless number that represents the resistance a body experiences as it moves through a fluid, such as air. It is a measure of the aerodynamic efficiency of an object, with a lower value indicating less drag and therefore better performance.

2. How is the Coefficient of Drag calculated?

The Coefficient of Drag is calculated by dividing the drag force acting on an object by the product of the dynamic pressure of the fluid and the reference area of the object. The dynamic pressure is the pressure of the fluid in motion, while the reference area is the projected area of the object perpendicular to the direction of flow.

3. What factors affect the Coefficient of Drag?

The Coefficient of Drag is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the velocity of the fluid, the fluid density, and the roughness of the object's surface. These factors can influence the flow of the fluid around the object and determine the amount of drag experienced.

4. How does the Coefficient of Drag impact aerodynamic performance?

The Coefficient of Drag plays a significant role in determining the aerodynamic performance of an object. A lower drag coefficient means that the object will experience less resistance and therefore require less energy to move through the fluid. This translates to improved speed, efficiency, and fuel economy for vehicles, aircraft, and other moving objects.

5. How can the Coefficient of Drag be reduced?

There are several methods for reducing the Coefficient of Drag, including improving the shape and streamlining of the object, reducing its size, and using materials with lower drag coefficients. Additionally, techniques such as vortex generators and active flow control can be employed to manipulate the flow of the fluid and reduce drag. Wind tunnel testing and computer simulations are often used to optimize the Coefficient of Drag for different objects and applications.