Advanced Functions test question

In summary, the problem involves a bacteria that doubles every 15 hours and the question is when will it be at 1/16th of its present amount. The equation used is y(x)=b*2^(x/15) and the solution is found by setting y(x)=y(0)/16 and solving for x. The correct answer is x=-60 hours, but there may have been some confusion with the value of y(0).
Sorry!
A bacteria doubles every 15h find when it will be at 1/16th of its present amount.
not sure if there were more stuff stated but that's basically the jist of it.

i'm assuming y=b(2)^(x/15) is the doubling equation

not so sure how to solve it was going to just put in times 1/16 for the exponent but then i noticed that it was too little steps and the question was out of 4

(it was on a advanced functions test i just had today lol)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so let y(x)=b*2^(x/15). If the present time is x=0, you want to solve y(x)=y(0)/16. Put your form into that and solve for x.

yeah i did that at first (i think it's what your talking about) and it was like

y(0)/16=2^(x/15)

2^(0)/16=2^(x/15)

1/16=2^(x/15)

2^(-4)=2^(x/15)
-4=x/15
-60=x

and i lost a mark cause the negative (i think...) another student instead subbed 1/16 for b and ended up with +60 and got full marks, just wondering if anyone knows why?
i only just looked at the question now.
sucks cause i think that mine was just from different reference...

y(0)=b. So your first equation should read b/16=b*2^(x/15) and the b cancels. Other than that I'd call the solution fine. If the population is doubling every 15h then the time when it was 1/16 of it's current size was 60 hrs in the past.

ooooooooohh maybe i lost a mark for not fully solving for y(0) before subbing ... forgot completely about the b tbh.

thanks man :D

Related to Advanced Functions test question

1. What topics are typically covered in an Advanced Functions test?

Advanced Functions tests typically cover a wide range of mathematical concepts, including but not limited to: polynomial functions, rational functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometric functions, and conic sections. These topics may also include transformations, graphs, and equations.

2. What level of difficulty can I expect from an Advanced Functions test?

The difficulty level of an Advanced Functions test can vary depending on the course and the instructor. Generally, these tests require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts, critical thinking skills, and the ability to apply concepts to solve complex problems. It is important to thoroughly study and practice before taking an Advanced Functions test.

3. Are calculators allowed on an Advanced Functions test?

This can vary depending on the instructor or school policy. Some Advanced Functions tests may allow the use of calculators, while others may not. It is important to check with your instructor beforehand to ensure you are prepared with the necessary tools.

4. How can I prepare for an Advanced Functions test?

To prepare for an Advanced Functions test, it is important to review and practice all of the relevant concepts. This may include studying notes, completing practice problems, and working through past assignments or quizzes. It is also helpful to seek assistance from your instructor or classmates if you are unsure about any concepts.

5. How important is studying for an Advanced Functions test?

Studying for an Advanced Functions test is crucial in order to do well. These tests often assess a wide range of concepts and require a strong understanding of mathematical principles. It is important to dedicate enough time to study and practice in order to achieve a good grade on the test.