Adiabatic & Isothermal Process: Explained with Real Life Examples

In summary: I'd agree with most of what Andrew wrote, that's a good primer for understanding the application of the first law here. Note that we're interested here in processes in which pressure will change.
moust
is it possible to have a process that is both adiabatic and isothermal?
i would appreciate if someone could explained that to me.
if possible, could you please give me an example in real life.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
moust said:
if possible, could you please give me an example in real life.
If the "process" involves change, there can be no process that is both adiabatic and isothermal. You can show this mathematically from the first law and the ideal gas law:

dQ = dU + PdV (first law)

PV = nRT so d(PV) = nRdT (ideal gas law)

d(PV) = PdV + VdP = nRdT

so the first law becomes:

dQ = dU + nRdT - VdP

Now if dQ = 0 and dT = 0 then dU = VdP

But since dU = nCvdT, and dT = 0 then dP must be 0.

Also, if dT = 0 and dQ = dU + PdV = nCvdT + PdV = 0, then dV = 0

So the only adiabatic and isothermal process would be one in which dT, dV and dP are all 0. There is no change at all.

AM

I'd agree with most of what Andrew wrote, that's a good primer for understanding the application of the first law here. Note that we're interested here in processes in which pressure will change. However, the caveat I'd add is that a process CAN be isothermal and adiabatic if the fluid is incompressible.

All fluids, be they liquids or gasses, are compressible to some minor degree. So all fluids will heat up according to the equations provided by Andrew above. However, the more incompressible they are, the less they will increase in temperature.

Consider the isentropic compression of water. Starting at atmospheric pressure and 70 F and compressing to 50 psig, will result in the pressure increasing by a factor of roughly 500%. The temperature increase on the other hand, is on the order of 0.0053 degrees F, an increase in absolute temperature of only 0.001%.

So to answer your question, an incompressible fluid can go through a process which is adiabatic and isothermal.

You need to be more specific. Is the system open or closed? Does it involve an ideal gas? If it's an ideal gas, what AM posted holds.

Andrew Mason said:
If the "process" involves change, there can be no process that is both adiabatic and isothermal. You can show this mathematically from the first law and the ideal gas law:

dQ = dU + PdV (first law)

PV = nRT so d(PV) = nRdT (ideal gas law)

In a more general case, for a single component, single phase closed system, the internal energy will be a function of 2 variables. (say volume and temperature).

From the first law,
[tex]\delta U = \delta Q + \delta W[/tex]

The infinitesimal change in the Internal Energy dU for a general process will be,
[tex] dU = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V\right)_T dV + \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V dT[/tex]

For an adiabatic process, by definition, [tex]\delta Q = 0[/tex].
For an isothermal process, dT=0.

So it's possible to have a process which is both isothermal and adiabatic, and where the internal energy change is non-zero.

Last edited:
I was assuming a process that maintained thermodynamic equilibrium.

In a dynamic system this may not be the case. For example in the free expansion of a gas into a vacuum, the energy of the dynamically expanding gas does not do work on its surroundings. So its internal energy does not change although its volume and pressure are changing. The problem is that the temperature of the dynamically expanding gas is not uniform (or is undefined).

If there is no loss of heat (adiabatic), when the dynamic energy of the gas ceases (ie. the gas is confined to a larger volume and its dynamic energy is converted back into heat of the gas) the temperature of the gas will be the same as the original (no change in internal energy because no work has been done).

AM

Related to Adiabatic & Isothermal Process: Explained with Real Life Examples

1. What is the difference between adiabatic and isothermal processes?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the system can change without any heat being added or removed. In contrast, an isothermal process is one in which the temperature of the system remains constant, and any heat added or removed is done so to maintain the constant temperature.

2. Can you provide a real-life example of an adiabatic process?

A classic example of an adiabatic process is a bicycle pump. When you use a bicycle pump to inflate a tire, you are compressing the air inside the pump without any heat exchange, resulting in an increase in temperature. This is why the pump becomes warm after use.

3. What is an example of an isothermal process in nature?

An isothermal process can be observed in a pot of boiling water. As the water boils, the temperature remains constant at 100 degrees Celsius, and any heat added is used to convert the liquid water into water vapor at the same temperature.

4. Why are adiabatic and isothermal processes important in thermodynamics?

Adiabatic and isothermal processes are important in thermodynamics because they help us understand and predict how energy is exchanged and transformed in different systems. They also play a crucial role in the development of many industrial processes, such as refrigeration and power generation.

5. How do adiabatic and isothermal processes affect the behavior of gases?

For gases, adiabatic processes result in changes in temperature and pressure without any exchange of heat. This can lead to changes in volume and density as well. In contrast, isothermal processes keep the temperature constant, but changes in pressure can still occur due to changes in volume.