Addressing Discalculia in Math Instruction: Tips and Strategies

In summary, Dan has a friend with discalculia who is struggling with math. Dan is looking for instructional techniques to help his friend and has found a helpful resource on The Dyscalculia Forum.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
I have a friend who is taking a couple of Math courses this Spring. I have referred here to MHB (and I'll be helping her directly myself.)

She has a condition that is called "discalculia." It is a variant on dislexia in which math problems become very difficult. She has problems staying on task when doing even something as simple as basic addition. It's not just numbers, she has difficulty with a + 2a = 3a. This is not a concept problem; it's more of a "I see +/- signs and nothing seems right" kind of thing.

Does anyone out there have some experience with this? I'm trying to find out instructional skills that might be helpful for me to use.

Thanks!

-Dan

Science news on Phys.org
Hey Dan,

I have decent experience teaching different age groups and learning styles, but I've never come across this and it sounds like you might really want to read up on teaching techniques. Maybe someone else at MHB knows something specific for you but in the meantime I found this link that might be helpful for you: The Dyscalculia Forum - News

Jameson

There's a reason my ex-fiance did all my web searches for me. :)

Thanks for the site...I didn't come across that one. That'll be a good place to start.

-Dan

Related to Addressing Discalculia in Math Instruction: Tips and Strategies

1. What are some creative ways to engage students during instruction?

Some ideas for engaging students during instruction include using interactive activities, incorporating technology, and incorporating hands-on learning experiences such as experiments or simulations.

2. How can I ensure that my instruction is inclusive and meets the needs of all students?

To ensure inclusivity in instruction, it is important to use diverse materials and examples, provide multiple ways for students to demonstrate their understanding, and regularly check for understanding and adjust instruction accordingly.

3. What are some effective strategies for teaching complex concepts?

Some effective strategies for teaching complex concepts include breaking them down into smaller, more manageable pieces, using visuals and real-world examples, and providing opportunities for students to apply their learning in a meaningful way.

4. How can I make instruction more student-centered?

To make instruction more student-centered, teachers can involve students in setting learning goals, provide choices and autonomy in learning activities, and facilitate discussions and collaboration among students.

5. How can I incorporate real-world connections into my instruction?

Incorporating real-world connections into instruction can be done by using current events or issues as a basis for a lesson, inviting guest speakers from relevant industries, or providing opportunities for students to apply their learning through real-world projects or presentations.