Adding angular momenta using levi-civta symbol

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of obtaining a j=1 triplet by using the Levi-Civita symbol to contract with the tensor |j><k| and the possibility of obtaining the singlet and quintuplet using the Kronecker delta. It is clarified that the singlet and triplet states are in the Cartesian basis and the negative sign in the |00> term comes from the relationship between the spherical and Cartesian bases. The conversation also touches on the usefulness of this information in a graduate QM class.
geoduck
Suppose you want to add 2 spin-1 particles.

I understand you can get the j=1 triplet by $$e_{ijk}|j\rangle |k\rangle $$ where i, j, k run from -1, 0 , 1.

The idea is that levi-civita symbol is a tensor under SO(3) rotations, so the contraction with the $$|j\rangle |k\rangle$$ tensor gives a vector under rotation, which is the triplet.

However, isn't kronecker delta also a tensor under rotation SO(3)? So why can't you get the singlet from:

$$\delta_{jk} |j\rangle |k\rangle = |1\rangle |1\rangle +|0\rangle |0\rangle+|-1\rangle |-1\rangle $$
Looking at the textbooks, the middle |00> term is with a negative sign.

Also, is there a group theoretic way to get the quintuplet?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you confusing the Cartesian basis with the spherical basis? When you say |k>, k = ±1, 0, that's the spherical basis. The relationship between the two bases is

e+1 = - (ex + i ey)/√2
e0 = ez
e-1 = (ex - i ey)/√2

Take the Kronecker delta in the form of the identity matrix,

I = exex + eyey + ezez

rewrite it in terms of e±1 and e0, and you'll see where the minus sign comes from..

Likes 1 person
Thanks! I'm the grader for a graduate QM class, this will help the whole class.

Related to Adding angular momenta using levi-civta symbol

1. How do you use the Levi-Civita symbol to add angular momenta?

The Levi-Civita symbol is a mathematical tool used to represent the permutation of indices in certain equations, such as the addition of angular momenta. To use it, first write out the angular momenta in terms of their quantum numbers (l, m, and s). Then, use the Levi-Civita symbol to represent the combination of these quantum numbers in the final result.

2. What is the significance of the Levi-Civita symbol in adding angular momenta?

The Levi-Civita symbol allows us to easily combine angular momenta in quantum mechanics calculations. Without it, the equations for adding angular momenta would be much more complex and difficult to solve.

3. Can the Levi-Civita symbol be used for adding any type of momenta?

No, the Levi-Civita symbol is specifically used for adding angular momenta, which are a type of quantum mechanical momenta. It cannot be used for adding other types of momenta, such as linear or rotational momenta.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Levi-Civita symbol for adding angular momenta?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol can only be used for systems with a fixed number of angular momenta. It cannot be used for systems with an infinite number of angular momenta, such as continuous rotational systems.

5. How does the Levi-Civita symbol account for spin in adding angular momenta?

The Levi-Civita symbol includes the spin quantum number (s) in its representation of the combination of angular momenta. This allows us to accurately add angular momenta of particles with different spin values.