Accept Offer from Safety School or Reapply?

In summary, the safety school's offer is solid, but the PhD program at my safety school isn't as good as the PhD program at my reach schools. I would prefer to attend a better school in a different city, but I am still completing research for my undergrad thesis, which is taking longer than expected, and would retake the PGRE in the fall. Both of these would enhance my application, so I think I would have a much better shot next year.
Milo33
I've been accepted by the PhD program at my safety school (where I am completing my undergrad), and have been declined admission at my reach schools. While my safety school's offer is solid, I would prefer to attend a better school in a different city. I am still completing research for my undergrad thesis, which is taking longer than expected, and would retake the PGRE in the fall. Both of these would enhance my application, so I think I would have a much better shot next year.

The way I see, it the options are as follows:

-Ask to complete a Masters program at safety school instead of PhD . The reason I didn't apply to the Masters program in the first place is because I heard from a prof that some schools just trash those apps.(Drawback: graduate committee might get seriously pissed)
-Get a job and reapply next year (Drawbacks: No current job offer, Unsure what happens to LOR's)
-Accept safety school offer; the deadline hasn't passed yet. (Drawbacks:4-5 years of boredom with current location.)

I would appreciate your opinion on how suicidal the first two options are.

Physics news on Phys.org
Milo33 said:
I would appreciate your opinion on how suicidal the first two options are.

That highly depends on why your "reach schools" rejected your application. Would you mind telling us the details of your application, and the quality of schools you applied to. You don't have to go into such details that would give away who you are.

GPA: 3.25
Physics GPA: 3.3.
pGRE: low 600's.
GRE: above 90th in quant/verbal.
I have two previous research presentations resulting from an internship at a top university. My current research is publishable. Target schools are large state schools. I had difficulty picking reach schools for my interest that were not close to impossible given my GPA/pGRE combo. LOR's I believe are very strong, except for one (standard A-in-the class without much detail). LOR's and research experience will only improve in the next few months, and I can realistically fix my pGRE to the point where it compensates for my GPA to some point. The rest will ride on research experience and charisma.

You have no guarantee that you will be re-accepted next year. Are you prepared for that?
Many students think they will substantially improve their GRE scores by retaking it. Not nearly as many do. If you end up not improving your pGRE, your application will be no stronger than it was. Are you prepared for that?

Likes PhotonSSBM
I agree with Vanadium50. Taking a year off for the chance that you *might* get accepted elsewhere is risky.

I also can't help, but wonder if you've fallen victim to this "safety" and "reach" school mindset that seems to be pretty common among undergrads. You either want to do a PhD at a particular school, or you don't. If you didn't want to attend, then it might be worth asking yourself why you applied in the first place. Look at the opportunity that you have in front of you and make a decision based on whether you think you can be successful with it.

Likes PhotonSSBM

Related to Accept Offer from Safety School or Reapply?

1. Should I accept an offer from a safety school or reapply to my top choices?

This is a common question for students who have received an offer from a safety school but are still waiting to hear back from their top choices. The answer depends on your individual circumstances and priorities. If the safety school is a good fit for your academic and career goals and you are satisfied with the financial aid package, then accepting the offer may be the best choice. However, if you are not satisfied with the safety school or are confident that you will receive offers from your top choices, then it may be worth reapplying.

2. Will accepting an offer from a safety school affect my chances of getting into my top choices in the future?

No, accepting an offer from a safety school will not negatively impact your chances of getting into your top choices in the future. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis and each application is evaluated independently. However, if you do accept an offer from a safety school, it is important to inform your top choices so they can make offers to other students on their waitlist.

3. What if I don't receive any offers from my top choices after reapplying?

If you choose to reapply to your top choices, there is a possibility that you may not receive any offers again. This could be due to a variety of factors such as increased competition, changes in admissions criteria, or simply not being the right fit for the program. It is important to consider this potential outcome before making a decision.

4. Can I negotiate with my top choices after receiving an offer from a safety school?

Yes, it is possible to negotiate with your top choices after receiving an offer from a safety school. However, keep in mind that admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors and there is no guarantee that negotiating will result in an offer. It is important to approach negotiations carefully and respectfully, and to have a clear understanding of your priorities and what you are willing to compromise on.

5. How do I make the decision between accepting an offer from a safety school and reapplying?

Making the decision between accepting an offer from a safety school and reapplying can be difficult. It is important to carefully weigh your options and consider factors such as academic fit, career goals, financial aid, and personal preferences. It may also be helpful to talk to current students or alumni of the safety school as well as your top choices to get a better understanding of the programs and their experiences. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what is best for your individual circumstances and goals.