Accelerometer data to a useful velocity vector

In summary, in order to get a brief trajectory of the Wiimote in 2D, you can use a Kalman filter to process the accelerometer data and produce an auxiliary vector that can be used for indoor locating on a room level.
atisz
Hello Everybody,

Currently I am working on
my diploma thesis, which is to provide an auxiliary
vector for a WLAN based RTLS (Real-time locating system).
Because it has flaws in it, that come from losing IP packets,
I have to construct an auxiliary system to it based on
vectors.
I am wondering if you could help me a bit.
I use GlovePIE to acquire the accelerometer data from Wiimote
which has the ADXL330 accelerometer unit built in it.

We presume that the device is fixed in one of the 3 axis.
So that we would like to use it like an indoor locating system
on room level, we only need the two dimensions(forward/backward,
right/left).
My question is do you know a method of getting the brief trajectory
of the wiimote in 2D.
I know about a response to this on the link below:

http://www.wiimoteproject.com/wiimote-accelerometer-and-motions-detecting-projects/accelerometer-study/msg8742/#msg8742

But could you advise me how to process those acceleration data
(?some transformation or filtering?)
to get an auxiliary vector, it does not have to be very precise.
Besides I am using the RelAcc parameters to determine the velocity,
but it does not provide correct information. Because of this if I
want to calculate position, I integrate again and it shows me totally
wrong data.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you in advance.The best way to get a brief trajectory of the Wiimote in 2D is to use a Kalman filter. A Kalman filter is an algorithm that combines information from multiple sources (in this case accelerometer data) to produce an estimate of the position and velocity of the device. The Kalman filter uses a model of the system dynamics to predict future states based on the current state, and then updates its prediction with new information from the accelerometer data. The result is a more accurate estimate of the current state and velocity of the Wiimote. Additionally, a Kalman filter can be used to reduce the amount of noise in the accelerometer data, thus making the trajectory more precise.

I would suggest looking into using Kalman filters to process the accelerometer data and obtain a useful velocity vector. Kalman filters are commonly used in real-time locating systems and can help improve the accuracy of the data by taking into account noise and other errors in the measurements. Additionally, you may want to consider using other sensors, such as gyroscopes, to improve the accuracy of the velocity vector. It's also important to carefully calibrate and test the system to ensure accurate results. I recommend consulting with other experts in the field and conducting further research to determine the best approach for your specific project.

Related to Accelerometer data to a useful velocity vector

What is an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures the acceleration of an object in a specific direction. It measures changes in velocity and can be used to determine an object's speed, direction, and position.

How is accelerometer data used to calculate velocity?

Accelerometer data can be used to calculate velocity by integrating the acceleration data over time. This process involves using calculus to determine the change in position of an object over time, which can then be used to calculate its velocity.

What factors can affect the accuracy of accelerometer data?

The accuracy of accelerometer data can be affected by various factors such as the quality of the sensor, external forces acting on the object, and the orientation and placement of the sensor on the object. Calibration and filtering techniques can also impact the accuracy of the data.

What is a velocity vector and why is it useful?

A velocity vector is a representation of an object's velocity in a specific direction. It includes both the magnitude (speed) and direction of the object's motion. It is useful because it provides a more comprehensive understanding of an object's movement, compared to just knowing its speed or direction separately.

How can velocity vectors be used in scientific research?

Velocity vectors can be used in scientific research to study and analyze the movement of objects in various environments. They can also be used to track and predict the trajectories of objects, such as in sports or aerospace engineering. Additionally, velocity vectors can be used to study the effects of external forces on an object's motion.