Academic Ghost Writers

Lynch101
Gold Member
Are academic ghost writers a thing? I've written a paper on the fine tuning argument, defending naturalism and while the arguments are sound (I would say that) it's not really up to a publishable standard. I worked with an editor but he really only did some copy editing, so I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with such services and might be able to recommend a website or even an individual.

Physics news on Phys.org
  1. I have never heard of such a thing.
  2. Judging by the papers I have read, if they exist, they are not very good.
  3. Your paper sounds more like philosophy than physics. Better writing won't change that.

Likes Lynch101
Vanadium 50 said:
  1. I have never heard of such a thing.
  2. Judging by the papers I have read, if they exist, they are not very good.
  3. Your paper sounds more like philosophy than physics. Better writing won't change that.
It is in the genre of philosophy but deals with naturalism in the context of fine tuning, with reference to the multiverse hypothesis.

It's more the structure that I think might need work or "filler" in terms of context, I'm just not sure what I would need to add to bring it to a publishable standard.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

After a Mentor discussion, this thread is reopened provisionally. It may be okay, but we will watch it. Thanks for your patience.

Lynch101 said:
I'm just not sure what I would need to add to bring it to a publishable standard.
Presumably you are reading physics journals. Published articles should give you a good idea of what they are looking for.

Likes berkeman
Lynch101 said:
It's more the structure that I think might need work or "filler" in terms of context, I'm just not sure what I would need to add to bring it to a publishable standard.
Sounds like you need a coauthor, or at least advice from a person who would quality to be a coauthor. I know that, while some of my papers needed the coauthor(s) to be publishable, all of them benefited from advice from qualified people.

Possible coauthors start with the authors of the papers that you cite.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Lynch101 said:
Are academic ghost writers a thing?
If it were the case, would anyone who has a ghost writer admit to it? Much like in hip hop.
Lynch101 said:
I've written a paper on the fine tuning argument, defending naturalism and while the arguments are sound (I would say that) it's not really up to a publishable standard.
I'm not convinced by this premise already. Why does one or another stance need to be "defended"? Is this a court trial?
Lynch101 said:
I worked with an editor but he really only did some copy editing, so I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with such services and might be able to recommend a website or even an individual.
Given the title, would you even give credit where it's due? I don't support plagiarism.

jrmichler said:
Possible coauthors start with the authors of the papers that you cite.
Referees too.

One physicist I know was a big fan of a particular baseball team. When I got the report from "Referee A", it was anonymous, but so clearly him, in my response I added "The Expos* sure look good this year."

* Name changed to protect the innocent.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, BillTre and berkeman