Absorption Paradox: Continuous Photon Energies and Quantized Molecule Energies

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the possible energies of photons and molecular energy levels. While photons can have an infinite number of possible numerical values, molecular energy is quantized. The probability of a photon having the exact energy to be absorbed by a molecule is effectively zero due to the finite number of molecular energies and infinite number of photon energies. However, energy levels in atoms and molecules are not truly discrete and have natural widths, resulting in a non-zero probability of photon absorption. The increase in temperature also plays a role in level broadening. The uncertainty principle also explains why more precise energy levels have longer lifetimes.
p.tryon
The possible energies of photons is continuous and therefore a photon could have an infinite number of possible numerical values for energy. In contrast all forms of molecular energy are quantized (electronic, rotational, vibrational and translational). Surely the probability of any given photon having EXACTLY the right energy to be absorbed by a molecule should be negligibly small (effectively zero) since there is a finite number of possible molecular energies and an infinite number of possible photon energies. Any finite number divided by infinity is zero.

I know my reasoning must be incorrect in some way but as yet no one has given me a good explanation of why so I though I would ask here.

Physics news on Phys.org
p.tryon said:
The possible energies of photons is continuous and therefore a photon could have an infinite number of possible numerical values for energy. In contrast all forms of molecular energy are quantized (electronic, rotational, vibrational and translational). Surely the probability of any given photon having EXACTLY the right energy to be absorbed by a molecule should be negligibly small (effectively zero) since there is a finite number of possible molecular energies and an infinite number of possible photon energies. Any finite number divided by infinity is zero.

I know my reasoning must be incorrect in some way but as yet no one has given me a good explanation of why so I though I would ask here.

Energy levels in atoms, molecules, etc. are not truly discrete. There are several mechanisms for the level broadening, e.g., temperature. But even a single atom at T=0 does not have discrete energy levels. All excited levels have "natural widths" which are inversely proportional to their lifetimes. If a level had a sharp energy (the width is zero), then its lifetime would be infinite and the probability of emitting/absorbing a photon from/to this level would be zero, just as you said.

Ah right. Thank you.

meopemuk said:
Energy levels in atoms, molecules, etc. are not truly discrete. There are several mechanisms for the level broadening, e.g., temperature. But even a single atom at T=0 does not have discrete energy levels. All excited levels have "natural widths" which are inversely proportional to their lifetimes. If a level had a sharp energy (the width is zero), then its lifetime would be infinite and the probability of emitting/absorbing a photon from/to this level would be zero, just as you said.

I know the OP was ok with this reply, but I was thinking the same thing about a year ago and decided to drop it, with arguments made to myself about "It must be some relativistic effect or something that doesn't come into shroedinger equation solutions". So then, is this increase in temperature (i.e. increase in energy, both translational and internal) responsible for a higher velocity of the molecule or atom, which in turn will doppler shift the energies? And at T=0, I presume that there's still some translational motion going on, which explain why you can never freeze out the "blurryness" of the energy levels. I also don't understand why a sharply defined energy means that the lifetime would be infinite. Obviously a stationary state has an infinite lifetime, but that's because the potential is constant in time. A purturbation to the potential (like a photon) would break the stationaryness of the state and prevent that from being the case.

DeShark said:
I know the OP was ok with this reply, but I was thinking the same thing about a year ago and decided to drop it, with arguments made to myself about "It must be some relativistic effect or something that doesn't come into shroedinger equation solutions". So then, is this increase in temperature (i.e. increase in energy, both translational and internal) responsible for a higher velocity of the molecule or atom, which in turn will doppler shift the energies? And at T=0, I presume that there's still some translational motion going on, which explain why you can never freeze out the "blurryness" of the energy levels.

Yes, Doppler effect is one factor for the temperature level broadening. I am not sure if this effect reduces to zero at T=0, but I can believe that. Also note that in macroscopic bodies (e.g., crystals) energy levels are not discrete, but form continuous bands, so that photons of various energies can be absorbed there even at T=0.

I also don't understand why a sharply defined energy means that the lifetime would be infinite. Obviously a stationary state has an infinite lifetime, but that's because the potential is constant in time. A purturbation to the potential (like a photon) would break the stationaryness of the state and prevent that from being the case.

Only the ground state of any isolated stable system has sharply defined energy. All other (excited) levels are unstable and eventually emit photons and drop onto the ground level. This instability is the result of ever present interaction with the photon subsystem. As for the relationship between the lifetime and the linewidth, search for the "Breit-Wigner formula".

Then there's the uncertainty principle itself. When you translate it from position and momentum to energy and time, you get

[tex]
\Delta E \Delta t \ge \frac{\hbar}{2}
[/tex]

So, if we could force the energy level to be more precisely defined, delta E would go down. But since it has to multiply by delta t to be greater than a constant value, that means delta t must increase. Therefore, more precise energy means longer lifetime.

Can't run it that way, though. There's a certain lifetime and you have to take the hit on the precision. You could call it the "natural linewidth" for that transition.

Related to Absorption Paradox: Continuous Photon Energies and Quantized Molecule Energies

What is the Absorption Paradox?

The Absorption Paradox is a phenomenon in physics where continuous photon energies are observed to be absorbed by quantized molecule energies, despite the fact that the two are theoretically incompatible.

How does the Absorption Paradox occur?

The Absorption Paradox occurs due to the wave-particle duality of light. On one hand, light behaves like a continuous wave with a range of energies. On the other hand, it also behaves like discrete particles called photons, each with a specific energy.

Why is the Absorption Paradox important?

The Absorption Paradox challenges our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and has implications for a wide range of fields, from quantum mechanics to astrophysics. It also has practical applications in areas such as spectroscopy and solar energy.

Is there a solution to the Absorption Paradox?

While there is still ongoing research and debate surrounding the Absorption Paradox, one proposed solution is the concept of energy levels. This suggests that molecules have a range of energy levels, rather than just a single quantized energy level, allowing for the absorption of continuous photon energies.

What are some current areas of research related to the Absorption Paradox?

Scientists are currently exploring various theories and experiments to better understand the Absorption Paradox, including the role of quantum mechanics, the effects of different environments on absorption, and the potential for new technologies based on this phenomenon.