Absolute convergence, boundedness, and multiplication

In summary, if the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}x_n converges absolutely, and the sequence (y_n)_n is bounded, then the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}x_ny_n converges. This can be shown by using absolute values and the definition of absolute convergence, which allows us to bound the sequence y_n by a constant M. By comparing the series \sum_{k=1}^{n}|x_ky_k| to the convergent series M\sum_{k=1}^{n}|x_k|, we can show that the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}x_ny_n is also
jfy4

Homework Statement

If the series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}x_n[/itex] converges absolutely, and the sequence [itex](y_n)_n[/itex] is bounded, then the series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}x_ny_n[/itex] converges.

Homework Equations

Definitions and theorems relating to series and convergence.

The Attempt at a Solution

If the sequence [itex]y_n[/itex] is bounded, then [itex]|y_n|\leq M[/itex] for all n. Then [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}x_ky_k\leq\sum_{k=1}^{n}Mx_k[/itex]. But [itex]M\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}x_n[/itex] is convergent which implies that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}x_ny_n[/itex] is also by comparison. [itex]\blacksquare[/itex]

Now I believe this is the right path, however, I did not use the absolute convergence in this proof, and I didn't really consider if the terms in [itex]y_n[/itex] were negative... I need some help to know how to include these aspects.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}x_ky_k\leq\sum_{k=1}^{n}Mx_k[/itex]

This isn't necessarily true. If both x and y alternate, say yn = -1n and xn = -1n / n, then it doesn't converge, even though y is bounded and the x-series converges. That is the step in which you need to integrate absolute convergence.

Sethric said:
[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}x_ky_k\leq\sum_{k=1}^{n}Mx_k[/itex]

This isn't necessarily true. If both x and y alternate, say yn = -1n and xn = -1n / n, then it doesn't converge, even though y is bounded and the x-series converges. That is the step in which you need to integrate absolute convergence.

I agree I need to integrate in absolute convergence, however [itex]x_n=(-1)^n/n[/itex] could not be since it is absolutely convergent, and the alternating harmonic series is not. But I get what you are getting at in that I must find a way to include the absolute convergence for particularly sticky situations.

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex] is not absolutely convergent.

and the alternating harmonic series is not
That technically is an alternating harmonic series.

What I am driving at is using absolute values. Can you think of a way to do that step using absolute values that takes advantage of the absolute convergence of xn?

Sethric said:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex] is not absolutely convergent.

That technically is an alternating harmonic series.

What I am driving at is using absolute values. Can you think of a way to do that step using absolute values that takes advantage of the absolute convergence of xn?

Ah! I was trying to say that it is not absolutely convergent, so [itex]x_n[/itex] could not be what you had in your example. But you posted before I could edit it

I'll try and think a bit more about it but that has been what I have been trying to think of...

Let me try this:

You know the sequence yn is bounded. What do you know about:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \left| x_k y_k \right| [/tex]

?

Sethric said:
Let me try this:

You know the sequence yn is bounded. What do you know about:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \left| x_k y_k \right| [/tex]

?

Okay, I think I got it:

Given [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}x_n[/itex] converges absolutely, and [itex]y_n[/itex] is bounded, then [itex]|y_n|\leq M[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex] for some [itex]M>0[/itex]. Consider

[tex]M\sum_{k=1}^{n}|x_k|\geq\sum_{k=1}^{n}|x_k||y_k|=\sum_{k=1}^{n}|x_ky_k|.[/tex]

But [itex]M\sum_{k=1}^{n}|x_k|[/itex] is convergent which implies that [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}|x_ky_k|[/itex] is also convergent. But if the sequence of partial sums converge, so does the series. Then since the series is absolutely convergent, it is convergent. [itex]\blacksquare[/itex]

Related to Absolute convergence, boundedness, and multiplication

What is absolute convergence?

Absolute convergence is a mathematical concept that refers to a series or sequence that converges to a finite value regardless of the order in which its terms are added. It is a stronger condition than ordinary convergence, which only requires that the series approaches a limit as more terms are added in a specific order.

How is boundedness related to absolute convergence?

Boundedness is closely related to absolute convergence, as a series that is absolutely convergent must also be bounded. This means that the sum of the absolute values of the terms in the series is finite, which in turn implies that the series itself must be bounded. However, a bounded series does not necessarily have to be absolutely convergent.

What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence?

The main difference between these two types of convergence is that absolute convergence is a stronger condition than conditional convergence. A series is absolutely convergent if the sum of the absolute values of its terms is finite, while a series is conditionally convergent if it converges but not absolutely. In other words, a conditionally convergent series may still converge to a finite value even if the sum of the absolute values of its terms is infinite.

Can absolute convergence be used to prove multiplication of series?

Yes, absolute convergence can be used to prove multiplication of series. If two series are absolutely convergent, then their product is also absolutely convergent. This is known as the Cauchy product theorem, which states that the sum of the product of two absolutely convergent series is equal to the product of their sums.

What is the significance of absolute convergence in real-world applications?

Absolute convergence has important applications in various fields of science and engineering. For example, in physics, absolute convergence is used to determine the stability of a physical system. In economics, it is used to analyze the convergence of economic indicators. In computer science, absolute convergence is used in numerical analysis and to ensure the accuracy of algorithms and calculations.