About the wave nature theory In the case of Lunar Eclipse

In summary, the conversation discusses the wave nature theory of light and how it applies to a lunar eclipse. The theory is that light is made up of waves, and the superposition of waves can explain the dark spots and bright spots seen on a screen when light is directed at it. However, during a lunar eclipse, there is no bright spot in the center of the shadow of the moon on Earth, which raises the question of why this is the case. The answer is that sunlight is not coherent, meaning the light waves are not aligned, unlike starlight which has a higher spatial coherence. This solves the problem and confirms the wave nature of light.
El-Korek
About the wave nature theory ! In the case of Lunar Eclipse

Hello all :)
First I'm glad to be a new member of this forum ..
Anyway .. as I noticed that if someone thought about a theory or a physics inquiry
you share your thoughts and solve the problem ..
So what came to my mind months ago some aspect related to optics ..
We studied that there are two theories about the nature of light :
- That it's made up of particles
- Made up of waves ..
the geometric theory and .. i donno the notation ..
anyway ..
so they found about the superposition of waves and explained the dark spots (fringe)
If there is a ball directing light towards it, it leave its shadow on the screen ..
BUT we would find a bright spot in the very middle of the screen
right ?
so i guess that verifies the wave nature of light

So my question lies here .. during lunar eclipse . when the sunlight is being blocked from Earth by the moon
when the moon lies between the sun and Earth
the moon will leave its shadow on the Earth causing the absence of light (eclipse) ..
So why isn't there the bright spot in the center of the screen of vision ( shadow of moon on Earth ) ??
Any help ??

Astronomy news on Phys.org

The light from the sun is not coherent.

mmmmm
Well thank you ! I searched for the incoherency of the sun after your remark
and i found that :

As a consequence of this argument regarding point sources, one can show that a larger (or closer) thermal source of light produces light of smaller coherence area than a smaller (or more distant) thermal source of light. Sunlight therefore has low spatial coherence, while starlight has significantly higher spatial coherence.

Problem Solved !
Thanks to You ! :)
Cheers

Related to About the wave nature theory In the case of Lunar Eclipse

What is the wave nature theory?

The wave nature theory, also known as wave-particle duality, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that explains the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties, depending on the experimental conditions.

How does the wave nature theory apply to the case of Lunar Eclipse?

In the case of Lunar Eclipse, the wave nature theory explains the behavior of light as it passes through the Earth's atmosphere and interacts with the Moon. This phenomenon is known as diffraction, where light waves are bent and spread out as they pass through a medium, resulting in the red color we see during a Lunar Eclipse.

What is the role of the wave nature theory in understanding the colors seen during a Lunar Eclipse?

The wave nature theory plays a crucial role in understanding the colors seen during a Lunar Eclipse. It explains how different wavelengths of light are diffracted differently, causing the red color to dominate as it has the longest wavelength. Without this theory, we would not be able to accurately explain the color changes during a Lunar Eclipse.

Can the wave nature theory be applied to other astronomical events?

Yes, the wave nature theory can be applied to other astronomical events such as solar eclipses, where the same phenomenon of diffraction occurs. It can also be used to explain the behavior of light in other celestial bodies, such as stars and galaxies.

What are some practical applications of the wave nature theory?

The wave nature theory has many practical applications, including the development of technologies such as lasers, fiber optics, and medical imaging devices. It also helps scientists understand the behavior of particles in accelerators and contributes to the development of quantum computing and cryptography.