About the definition of local degree

In summary, in Hatcher's book on Coherent Topology, the definition of the local degree of a map S^n-->S^n can be found at the very end of page 135 and the beginning of page 136. The local degree is defined as ±degf|x_i, where f is a map and x_i is a point. This is proven by following the isomorphism from H_n(S^n) to H_n(U_i,U_i-x_i) and then to H_n(V,V-y) through f_*. However, this argument relies on the maps being isomorphisms, which is not always the case. Therefore, the commutativity of the diagram is not guaranteed and the local degree may not always
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In Hatcher's book, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Coherent_topology, see the very end of page 135 and the beginning of page136 for the definition of the local degree of a map S^n-->S^n.

I don't get how the local degree degf|x_i could be anything else than ±degf: In the diagram of page 136 used to define the local degree, identify all the outer groups with Z. Start with 1 in the lower left [itex]H_n(S^n)[/itex] and follow the isomorphism that leads to [itex]H_n(U_i,U_i-x_i)[/itex].Since an isomorphism brings a generator to a generator, we end up with ±1. Then take this ±1 to [itex]H_n(V,V-y)[/itex] through f_*. We end up with ±degf|x_i by definition of the local degree. Now take that same initial 1 to [itex]H_n(V,V-y)[/itex] through the other outer route. We get [tex]1\stackrel{f}{\mapsto} \deg f\stackrel{\cong}{\mapsto}\pm \deg f[/tex], and so by commutativity of the diagram, \degf|x_i=±degf.

Where am I mistaken??:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Commutativity of a diagram means that you get the same result if you follow the directions of the arrows. In the case where all maps are isomorphisms, the directions can be changed, but in this case the [tex]k_i[/tex] are usually not isomorphisms. If [tex]k_i[/tex] where an isomorphism for an [tex]i[/tex] you could reverse the directions of the downward arrows in the top left triangle and your argument would be valid.

Consider for example the map [tex]S^1\to S^1,z\mapsto z^2[/tex] which has degree two. Each point has two preimages and the local degree is one. So we have another proof that 1+1=2.:biggrin:

Oh wow! Thanks for clearing that up.. you just saved me from a lot of confusion.

Related to About the definition of local degree

1. What is the definition of local degree?

The local degree refers to the level of education or qualification that is specific to a particular location or region. It may vary from country to country or even within different states or provinces within a country.

2. How is the local degree different from a national degree?

A local degree is typically tailored to the specific needs and demands of a particular region, while a national degree is more standardized and recognized across a country. Additionally, the curriculum and requirements for a local degree may differ from a national degree.

3. Can a local degree be recognized internationally?

It depends on the specific local degree and the country in which it was obtained. Some local degrees may have international recognition, especially if they are from reputable universities or institutions. However, it is always best to research and confirm the international recognition of a local degree before pursuing it.

4. What are some examples of local degrees?

Some examples of local degrees include the Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Asian Studies from a university in Asia, the Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Engineering from a university in Europe, or the Bachelor of Education (BEd) from a university in Canada.

5. Are there any advantages to obtaining a local degree?

Yes, there can be several advantages to obtaining a local degree. It may be more affordable compared to an international degree, and it may also provide a deeper understanding and knowledge of the specific region or country. Additionally, some local degrees may also have specific industry or career advantages within that region.