About microprocessor 8085: state signals?

In summary, the 8085AH has three state signals: S0, S1, and IO/M*. S0 and S1 provide different type of machine cycles depending on their status. Fetch will occur when reading instructions.
ilconformista
Hello everyone! Could anyone explain to me the following: The 8085AH has 3 state signals: S0, S1 and IO/M*. S0 and S1 provide different type of machine cycles depending on their status.

For example if the machine cycle is OpCode Fetch, we will get: S1=S0=1 and IO/M*=0. I don't get it though, what do the S1 and S0 signals actually do? I believe the processor decides their status with the help of the instruction decoder, and then what happens? They don't seem to connect to anything!

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• preview_html_m301a4067.png
    preview_html_m301a4067.png
    15 KB · Views: 665
Technology news on Phys.org
Code:
s0 s1
 0  0  halt
 0  1  read
 1  0  write
 1  1  fetch

Link to pdf file:

http://staff.neu.edu.tr/~kuyar/301/ch3.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
rcgldr, thanks four your answer! However I still can't think of any way that these signals are useful. The processor decides first if it's halt, read, write or fetch (by decoding the instruction) and THEN updates the states of S0 and S1. Am I right?

ilconformista said:
rcgldr, thanks four your answer! However I still can't think of any way that these signals are useful. The processor decides first if it's halt, read, write or fetch (by decoding the instruction) and THEN updates the states of S0 and S1. Am I right?
S0 and S1 don't have to be used, since there are already other signals for read and write. Fetch will occur when reading instructions. If a program was coded carefully, fetch could be used to address some type of rom instead of main memory, effectively extending the address space. S0 and S1 are updated before a memory operation takes place.

You could use S0 and S1 and some of the other status lines to create a "blinking light" front panel that would show what the processor is doing. It might be feasible to single step the processor one button press at a time and this would let you watch the status signals, address lines, data lines, etc.

You could use S0 and S1 to build a hardware debugger that would allow you to stop the processor and grab control with a particular combination was observed.

Related to About microprocessor 8085: state signals?

1. What is a microprocessor 8085?

The microprocessor 8085 is an 8-bit central processing unit (CPU) designed by Intel in the 1970s. It is one of the first microprocessors to gain widespread use in personal computers and other electronic devices.

2. What are state signals in the microprocessor 8085?

State signals in the microprocessor 8085 are the control signals that determine the state of the processor. These signals include the address latch enable (ALE), the read and write control signals (RD and WR), and the interrupt request (INT) signal.

3. How do state signals work in the microprocessor 8085?

State signals in the microprocessor 8085 work by controlling the flow of data and instructions between the processor and other components. The ALE signal is used to latch the address of an instruction or data, while the RD and WR signals are used to read data from or write data to memory or input/output (I/O) devices. The INT signal is used to request an interrupt from external devices.

4. What is the purpose of state signals in the microprocessor 8085?

The main purpose of state signals in the microprocessor 8085 is to ensure proper communication and coordination between the processor and other components. They help in the efficient execution of instructions and management of data transfer between the processor, memory, and I/O devices.

5. Can state signals be modified or controlled by the user?

Yes, state signals in the microprocessor 8085 can be modified or controlled by the user through programming. The user can manipulate these signals to perform specific tasks and customize the functioning of the processor according to their needs.