A triangle's rotational kinetic energy

In summary: So, by using Pythagoras theorem they are finding the height of this right angle triangle. Then, they are using the formula for moment of inertia of a triangle (which is derived using parallel axis theorem) to find the kinetic energy.In summary, the problem involves finding the rotational kinetic energy of a triangle with 3 masses of 0.3 kg each connected by rigid rods. The triangle rotates at 6.5 revolutions per second about an axis through the center. To solve for the rotational kinetic energy, the moment of inertia formula for a triangle (derived using parallel axis theorem) is used, along with the Pythagorean theorem to find
aitee

Homework Statement

The three 280 g masses in the figure are connected by massless, rigid rods to form a triangle.

What is the triangle's rotational kinetic energy if it rotates at 6.5 revolutions per s about an axis through the center?

Values given:
Mass of each ball at the corner of the triangle: 0.3 kg
Sides of Equilateral Triangle: 0.4m

Homework Equations

I= 3*(mr^2)
KE =.5 Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there is another post for this same question, but that user figured it out and didn't post their error in thinking and I'm stuck in the same rut.

I first tried to solve it like this:

H = sin(60) * .2
I then attempted to use half of this height to find the 'r' value. The r value bisects the 60 degrees, hence 30 degrees.

So r = 1/(sin(30)/.5H)

I know this is wrong, but I don't know how to go about solving this. (is the center point even centered relative to the top point to the middle intersection of the lower rod?)

I searched online and found someone who gave this as a solution to finding r:
r = (2/3)*median = (2/3)[sq rt(0.40^2 - 0.20^2)] = 0.231 m
which when I attempted this it worked. But I'm not familiar with this equation and wanted to understand how this works, and if there was another way (as I'm thinking our teacher expected us to use)?

Help in understanding this would be so greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
well in that formula you have put, they are just using Pythagoras theorem. side of the triangle is the hypotenuse, line joining the vertex and the midpoint of the line in front of the
vertex is one side of this right angle triangle

Related to A triangle's rotational kinetic energy

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. In the case of a triangle, it is the energy it has due to its angular velocity around its center of mass.

2. What factors affect a triangle's rotational kinetic energy?

The rotational kinetic energy of a triangle is affected by its mass, the distance of its vertices from its center of mass, and its angular velocity. The higher the mass and the farther the vertices are from the center of mass, the greater the rotational kinetic energy will be. Additionally, the higher the angular velocity, the greater the rotational kinetic energy will be.

3. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated for a triangle?

The rotational kinetic energy of a triangle can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the triangle's mass and the distance of its vertices from its center of mass.

4. Can a triangle have both linear and rotational kinetic energy?

Yes, a triangle can have both linear and rotational kinetic energy at the same time. Linear kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its linear motion, while rotational kinetic energy is the energy it has due to its rotation. These energies are independent of each other and can exist simultaneously.

5. How does friction affect a triangle's rotational kinetic energy?

Friction can affect a triangle's rotational kinetic energy by slowing down its rotation. When there is friction between the triangle and its surface, it will experience a torque, which will cause it to decelerate. This results in a decrease in the triangle's rotational kinetic energy.