A Single and A Double Slit Question

I'vegot my AP Physics exam tmr :SIn summary, the conversation discusses questions related to the AP Physics exam, specifically the calculations for the angular width of the central maximum produced by a single slit and the maximum number of bright spots produced by a pair of double slits. The conversation also mentions the use of equations such as Sin () = (m+0.5) lamda/w and since()m = m(lamda/d) to solve these problems. The person is seeking help and is worried about their exam the next day.
zmike
Two questions (I've got my AP Physics exam tmr :S)

1. What is the angular width of the the central maximum produced by a single slit of width 0.0011 cm if illuminated by blue light of a wavelength of 470 nm.

So I used Sin () = (m+0.5) lamda/w

2. What is the max. number of bright spots when red light is shone on a pair of double slits 1.4 mm apart when the screen is 1.0 away.

I think you would use since()m = m(lamda/d) but I get this werid decimal number and you can't have a decimal number of bright spots.

thanks in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
help please, my exam is tmr morning :( please

1. To calculate the angular width of the central maximum produced by a single slit, we can use the equation Sin(θ) = (m + 0.5)λ/w, where θ is the angular width, m is the order of the maximum, λ is the wavelength of the light, and w is the width of the slit. Plugging in the given values, we get Sin(θ) = (0 + 0.5)(470 nm)/(0.0011 cm). Solving for θ, we get an angular width of approximately 0.214 degrees.

2. The max number of bright spots in a double slit experiment can be calculated using the equation m = m(λ/d), where m is the number of bright spots, λ is the wavelength of the light, and d is the distance between the slits. In this case, we have a distance of 1.4 mm between the slits and a wavelength of red light (around 700 nm). Plugging in these values, we get m = (700 nm)/(1.4 mm) = 0.5. This means that there will be a maximum of 0.5 bright spots, which is not possible. This could be due to rounding errors or limitations of the equation, but it is important to remember that this is a theoretical maximum and in reality, the number of bright spots may be slightly different.

Related to A Single and A Double Slit Question

1. What is a single slit and a double slit?

A single slit and a double slit are both experiments in optics that demonstrate the wave-like nature of light. A single slit experiment involves passing a beam of light through a narrow slit, resulting in a diffraction pattern on a screen. A double slit experiment involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits, resulting in an interference pattern on a screen.

2. What is the difference between a single slit and a double slit?

The main difference between a single slit and a double slit is the resulting pattern on the screen. A single slit experiment produces a diffraction pattern, which is a series of bright and dark bands. A double slit experiment produces an interference pattern, which is a series of bright and dark fringes.

3. What is the purpose of a single slit and a double slit experiment?

The purpose of these experiments is to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of light. Through these experiments, scientists were able to prove that light can behave as both a particle and a wave, depending on the circumstances. These experiments also provide evidence for the wave theory of light.

4. What factors affect the patterns produced by a single slit and a double slit?

The patterns produced by a single slit and a double slit can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the size of the slits, and the distance between the slits. The intensity and angle of the incident light can also affect the patterns.

5. How are single slit and double slit experiments used in real-world applications?

These experiments have various real-world applications, such as in the production of diffraction gratings for spectrometers, which are used to analyze the composition of materials. They are also used in the development of technologies such as holograms and optical storage devices. Understanding the principles behind these experiments is crucial in the fields of optics and photonics.