A set and subset. Can anyone explain what the difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between subsets and members in sets. It is stated that if A is a subset of B and B is a subset of C, then A is also a subset of C. However, in a specific example where A={3}, B={{3},5}, and C={B, 17}, it is shown that A is a member of B and B is a member of C, but A is not a member of C. The conversation also highlights the difference between being a member of a set and being a subset of a set, and how the notation A \in C is only accurate when the set C is a member of another set.
ovoleg

Homework Statement

If A is a subs4et of B and B is a subset of C, then A is a subset of C. But if A = {3}, B={{3},5}, and C = {B, 17}, then A is contained in B and B is contained in C, but A is not contained in C. The set C has exactly two members, and it is easy to see that neither of these members is a set of A

Homework Equations

Why? if B = {{3}, 5} then shouldn't C be = {{3}, 5, 17} ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how A is not contained in C

Can someone clarify?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
well..i think A is a subset of C...donno.why r u saying its not true.

electron said:
well..i think A is a subset of C...donno.why r u saying its not true.

A IS a subset of C. That is not what I am stating,

I am saying A is not contained in C.

Hold on let me try to find the LaTeX symbol thingie...

ovoleg said:

Homework Statement

If A is a subset of B and B is a subset of C, then A is a subset of C. But if A = {3}, B={{3},5}, and C = {B, 17}, then A is contained in B and B is contained in C, but A is not contained in C. The set C has exactly two members, and it is easy to see that neither of these members is a set of A
Okay, in the second case, A is a member of B, not a subset. Also, in that case, B is a member of C, not a subset.

Homework Equations

Why? if B = {{3}, 5} then shouldn't C be = {{3}, 5, 17} ??
Well, this is an example. C can be anything that demonstrates the point! In the given example, B is a member of C, not a subset. They you want it, C= {{3},5,17}, B is a subset of C, not a member. Of course, even if B is a subset of C, since A is not a subset of B, it would not follow that A must be a subset of C, so either way makes the point.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how A is not contained in C

Can someone clarify?

Thanks!
What do YOU mean by "contained in"? Subset or member? "A member of" and "a subset of" are completely different concepts. You should use one of those and not "contained in" which is ambiguous. In the example as given, C= {B, 17}, B is a member of C while A is neither a member of C nor a subset of it. In your example, C= {{3},5,17}, B is a subset of C and A is a member of C but not a subset of C.

Notice, by the way, that in the "theorem" you state: "If A is a subset of B and B is a subset of C, then A is a subset of C" if either of the hypotheses is not true (A is not a subset of B or B is not a subset of C) then the conclusion "A is a subset of C" is not necessarily true. But it still might happen to be true! A really strange example would be with A= {3}, B= {{3},5}, C= {{3},5, 3}. The A is a member of B, not a subset. B is a subset of C and A is both a member of C (because of the {3} in C) and a subset (because of the 3 in C).

Last edited by a moderator:
REVISED:

If [tex]A \subseteq B[/tex] and [tex]B \subseteq C[/tex], then [tex]A \subseteq C[/tex]. But if A = {3}, B={{3},5}, and C = {B, 17}, then [tex]A \in B[/tex] and [tex] B \in C [/tex], but [tex]A NOT \in C[/tex]. The set C has exactly two members, and it is easy to see that neither of these members is a set of A

HallsofIvy said:
What do YOU mean by "contained in"? Subset or member? "A member of" and "a subset of" are completely different concepts. You should use one of those and not "contained in" which is ambiguous. In the example as given, C= {B, 17}, B is a member of C while A is neither a member of C nor a subset of it. In your example, C= {{3},5,17}, B is a subset of C and A is a member of C but not a subset of C.

Notice, by the way, that in the "theorem" you state: "If A is a subset of B and B is a subset of C, then A is a subset of C" if either of the hypotheses is not true (A is not a subset of B or B is not a subset of C) then the conclusion "A is a subset of C" is not necessarily true. But it still might happen to be true! A really strange example would be with A= {3}, B= {{3},5}, C= {{3},5, 3}. The A is a member of B, not a subset. B is a subset of C and A is both a member of C (because of the {3} in C) and a subset (because of the 3 in C).

I see what you are saying, but let me see if I can understand this logic.

If B is a subset of C then all members of B are also members of C. If all members that are in A are contained in B then wouldn't that imply that all the members in A are part of C. So saying [tex] A \in C [/tex] is not correct because? You would then have to have C= {A, 17} for [tex] A \in C[/tex] to be correct?? So the set has to be a member? for that notation to be correct?

Related to A set and subset. Can anyone explain what the difference?

1. What is a set and a subset?

A set is a collection of distinct elements, while a subset is a set that contains only a portion of the elements from another set.

2. How is a subset different from a proper subset?

A proper subset is a subset that contains at least one element that is not in the original set, while a subset can be equal to the original set.

3. Can you provide an example of a set and a subset?

For example, the set of all even numbers (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) is a subset of the set of all integers (..., -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, ...).

4. How do you determine if one set is a subset of another?

To determine if one set is a subset of another, you must check if all the elements in the first set are also present in the second set. If so, then the first set is a subset of the second set.

5. What are some real-world applications of sets and subsets in science?

Sets and subsets are commonly used in data analysis and classification in fields such as biology, genetics, and computer science. They can also be used to represent relationships between groups of objects or concepts in social sciences.