A question on notation of derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of why the derivative of an even function is odd and vice versa. The proof uses the chain rule to rewrite the derivative of f(-x), but the conversation also mentions a mistake in assuming that the derivative of f(-x) is f'(-x). The correct notation is f'(-x) = df/d(-x) and (f(-x))' = df/dx. The conversation emphasizes the importance of understanding notation when working with derivatives.
Lemniscates
I was doing a proof on why the derivative of an even function is odd and vice versa. Now, the way I did the problem was by using the chain rule to rewrite the derivative of f(-x), and the proof worked out perfectly fine.

But I had a thought that I can't quite wrap my around, and I think it's just because I don't fully understand the notation. I almost made this mistake but caught myself because I realized it doesn't work; it's essentially a silly "proof" for why the derivative of an odd function is odd:

1. f(-x)=-f(x), the definition of an odd function
2. Taking the derivative of both sides (since two functions which are equal for all values of x should also have equivalent derivatives):
f'(-x)=-f'(x)

I know this is wrong (since that says the derivative is also odd). I'm also pretty certain that the derivative of -f(x) is -f'(x) (because of the constant rule). So that means that the derivative of f(-x) is NOT f'(-x). My question: why is the derivative of f(-x) not f'(-x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general a derivative of [itex]f(g(x))[/itex] is not [itex]f'(g(x))[/itex], so in particular there is no reason to assume, that a derivative of [itex]f(-x)[/itex] would be [itex]f'(-x)[/itex].

You can use the chain rule. To illustrate, let u = -x, so f(-x) = f(u). df(u)/dx = f'(u)du/dx = -f'(-x).

Ah, I think I see now. So f'(-x) would be df/d(-x) (change of f over change of negative x as a single quantity), while (f(-x))' would be df/dx?

Related to A question on notation of derivatives

1. What is the notation used for derivatives?

The most commonly used notation for derivatives is f'(x) or dy/dx. These notations represent the derivative of a function f with respect to the variable x.

2. How do you read and interpret derivative notation?

The notation f'(x) can be read as "the derivative of f with respect to x." This notation represents the instantaneous rate of change of f at a specific point on its graph.

3. What does the prime symbol mean in derivative notation?

The prime symbol (') in derivative notation represents the operation of taking the derivative. It is placed after the function or variable to indicate that the derivative is being taken with respect to that variable.

4. Are there other notations for derivatives?

Yes, there are several other notations for derivatives such as Df(x), fx, and Dxf. These notations are used in different contexts and may be preferred by certain mathematicians or in certain fields of study.

5. How do you differentiate between different types of derivatives?

There are several types of derivatives, including first, second, and higher order derivatives, as well as partial derivatives. To differentiate between these types, the notation will include a number or subscript to indicate the order or variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken.