A question about Dirac Delta Potential Well solution

In summary, Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics discusses the general solution for scattering states with energy greater than 0 and a Dirac delta potential function. The solution is ψ(x) = Ae^(ikx) + Be^(-ikx), where k = (√2mE)/h. This solution does not blow up for x < 0, which seems contradictory to earlier discussions about bound states. The reason for this is that scattering states have an imaginary component, making the exponential terms oscillatory instead of blowing up at infinity. This clarification helps to better understand the distinction between bound and scattering states.
Positron137
In Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, on page 56, he says that for scattering states
(E > 0), the general solution for the Dirac delta potential function V(x) = -aδ(x) (once plugged into the Schrodinger Equation), is the following: ψ(x) = Ae^(ikx) + Be^(-ikx), where k = (√2mE)/h. After that, he states that in the general solution for ψ(x) (stated above), both terms do NOT blow up in the section of the well where x < 0. But this doesn't make sense, because earlier, when he was demonstrating bound states (E < 0) , he stated that the second term, Be^(-ikx), blows up at infinity when x < 0. But here, for scattering states, he states that NEITHER term blows up as x < 0, which seems contradictory. Could anyone explain why this is true (why neither term blows up for a scattering state, when x < 0)? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference, I believe is in the "i" (of the beholder BWAAHAHAHA). But seriously. The scattering states have an i, thus are oscillatory, and the bound states don't have an i, and hence are 'regular' exponentials, which blow up at one of the infinities (+ or -).

Ah ok. Thanks! LOL I was getting confused. So the reason why it doesn't "blow up" as we would expect it to is because for complex exponentials, as x -> infinity, e^(ikx) and e^(-ikx) don't blow up? Actually, that kinda makes sense because e^ix is like going in a circle in the complex plane. Thanks for the clarification!

It's funny you ask this, I asked the exact same question and didn't get a good explanation; I don't think my instructor understood my question. I actually still have the equation circled in my textbook with a "why" written next to it. This does clarify it though, it's pretty obvious now that I think of it... I didn't notice the distinction... thanks for posting.

No problem! LOL yeah, I was also confused - why for bound states, one of the terms blew up, and why for the scattering states, both e^(ikx) AND e^(-ikx) terms were kept, even though x tended to negative infinity.

Related to A question about Dirac Delta Potential Well solution

1. What is a Dirac Delta Potential Well solution?

A Dirac Delta Potential Well solution is a mathematical solution to the Schrödinger equation for a potential well with an infinitely narrow and infinitely deep potential barrier. It is used to model the behavior of a particle in a one-dimensional potential well.

2. How is the Dirac Delta Potential Well solution derived?

The Dirac Delta Potential Well solution is derived by solving the Schrödinger equation for the potential well, which involves using the Dirac delta function to represent the potential barrier. This results in a set of equations that can be solved to find the energy levels and wave functions of the particle in the potential well.

3. What are the applications of the Dirac Delta Potential Well solution?

The Dirac Delta Potential Well solution is used in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and nuclear physics. It is also used to model the behavior of electrons in semiconductor devices and to study the properties of quantum dots and quantum wells.

4. Can the Dirac Delta Potential Well solution be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Dirac Delta Potential Well solution can be extended to higher dimensions, such as two or three-dimensional potential wells. This involves using the Dirac delta function in multiple dimensions and solving the corresponding Schrödinger equation.

5. Are there any limitations to the Dirac Delta Potential Well solution?

While the Dirac Delta Potential Well solution is a useful mathematical tool, it has some limitations. It assumes that the potential well is infinitely deep, which may not accurately represent real-world systems. It also does not take into account the effects of interactions between particles, such as electron-electron interactions.