A problem from science fiction - intersecting curves

In summary, the spaceship is traveling on a curved path and it needs to release a pod to intersect a space station. The pod will travel at a tangent from the curved path and will be released at a time that is either s=3 or s=5. The pod will then be zooming off the curve in a path described by (s+t, s2+2t).
Emspak
1. Homework Statement [/b]

A spaceship is traveling on a curved path, f(t) = (t, t2)

(We'll assume that the path isn't affected by gravity, this is a math problem, not physics :-) )

It has to release a pod to intersect a space station that has an orbit described by the following:

g(t) = (4+cos([itex]\frac{πt}{8})[/itex], 8-sin([itex]\frac{πt}{8}[/itex]))

The pod will travel at a tangent from the curved path f(t) and I want to know at what time s I should release it to get to the space station and how long it will take.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I know that since I am releasing the pod at time s, my first vector to add will be (s, s2). And those numbers will be constant.

I know that f'(t) = (1, 2t)

So that means that a pod will be zooming off the curve in a path described by (s+t, s2+2t). (correct?)

So to see if the pod will hit the space station and when, I need

(s+t, s2+2t) = (4+cos([itex]\frac{π(s+t)}{8})[/itex], 8-sin([itex]\frac{π(s+t)}{8}[/itex]))But after that I am stuck, and I feel like there is some simple step I am missing. I know that the time s of release can't be more than s=3 and less than 0 because if s=0 the line is horizontal and never hits the circle described, and if s≥3 it will miss the circle full stop. So there are some constraints here. I am almost there, I feel like.

Physics news on Phys.org
So that means that a pod will be zooming off the curve in a path described by (s+t, s2+2t). (correct?)
Not quite.

For the spacecraft , v(t)=(1,2t)
At time t=s, the speed of the spacecraft , and thus the pod, will be... ?
... and thus, the position-time equation of the pod will be... ?

A time t=s the speed of the spacecraft is f'(s) or (1,2s) so that's the speed of the pod.

The position of the pod would have to be (s+t, s2+(2s)t) after that, yes?

So you'd want (s+t, s2+(2s)t) = (4+cos[itex]\frac{(s+t)π}{8}[/itex], 8-sin[itex]\frac{(s+t)π}{8}[/itex])

That's still pretty ugly when you want to solve it, no?

It's usually nastier than that because the pod will be traveling along a conic section as well.
And then - real orbits are seldom that tidy.

You want to solve for s - you'll find there are lots of solutions from the restraints you have specified.

OK, but when I try to do that I get s = 4-t+cos([itex]\frac{(t+s)π}{8}[/itex])

And I still have a lot of possibilities for both s and t. I do know that -1<s+t-4<1, b/c of the cosine function. And I know that s>0, and t>0 so for this to work 3< s+t < 5. Am I getting it right so far?

Further, s2+2st = 8-sin([itex]\frac{(t+s)π}{8}[/itex])

which gets me s(1+2t) = 8-sin([itex]\frac{(t+s)π}{8}[/itex])

or 8-s(1+2t)=sin([itex]\frac{(t+s)π}{8}[/itex])

since -1<8-s(1+2t) <1 7<s(1+2t)<9, yes?

I still have a lot of possibilities for both s and t
Yes you do - why would you expect any different?

You are using t as the elapsed time between release and capture.
You should find an equation for this time in terms of the release time and the speed of the pod.

Related to A problem from science fiction - intersecting curves

1. What is meant by "intersecting curves" in this context?

In this context, "intersecting curves" refers to the idea of two or more curves or lines crossing or overlapping each other at one or more points. This concept is often used in science fiction as a way to illustrate complex or abstract ideas, or to represent the intersection of different dimensions or realities.

2. Can you give an example of a problem from science fiction that involves intersecting curves?

One example of a problem from science fiction that involves intersecting curves is the concept of time travel. In many stories, time travel is represented as a curve that intersects with the present timeline at various points, creating alternate timelines or paradoxes.

3. How is the concept of intersecting curves relevant in real-world science?

In real-world science, intersecting curves are used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to model and solve complex problems. For example, in physics, intersecting curves can represent the trajectory of objects in motion, while in mathematics, they can be used to solve equations and analyze data.

4. What are some potential challenges in solving a problem involving intersecting curves?

One potential challenge in solving a problem involving intersecting curves is the complexity of the mathematical equations and concepts involved. Another challenge may be accurately representing and visualizing the curves in a way that is understandable to others.

5. How might advancements in technology impact the study of intersecting curves?

Advancements in technology such as computer simulations and visualization tools have greatly impacted the study of intersecting curves. These tools allow scientists and mathematicians to model and analyze complex curves and equations more efficiently and accurately, leading to new discoveries and advancements in various fields.