A power cycle receives heat input from solar collectors...

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with determining the correct answer for a given scenario. The person provides a formula for calculating COP and mentions that there may be an error in applying it correctly. They also mention the importance of correctly identifying the heat removed or supplied and the work input. They suggest seeking help from others in a designated homework section. The potential correct answer is mentioned as 14.13 kW.
hc23881
I am having trouble with this problem. I have drawn the diagram , but don't know how I can attach it onto this post. But, for a I have COP= Qin/Wcycle = 650 J/m^2 s / Wcycle = 32.5 kW/Wcycle --> Wcycle = 10.15 kW. But,that is the wrong answer.http://[ATTACH=full]199894[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• PLAIN]%20[Broken].jpg
    PLAIN]%20[Broken].jpg
    38 KB · Views: 180
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi hc23881

I suspect that you have not applied COP correctly.

For cooling one is interested in the heat removed from the place you want to cool. ie Qin
For heating one is interested in the heat supplied to the place one wants to heat ie Qout

For both there is a work input into the heat engine, ie W

And you have to manipulate the Qin, Qou, W, and COP for the applicable scenario.By the way, there is a homework section for problems, which has a template. And best of all, a whole bunch of PF'ers ready to jump in and help out.
Have a look, when you need assistance for other problems, or perhaps more help for this one if need be.

( By the way I think the answer is 14.13 kw. If not I'll have to go ask for help too )

Related to A power cycle receives heat input from solar collectors...

1. How does a power cycle receive heat input from solar collectors?

The power cycle receives heat input from solar collectors through the use of a heat transfer fluid, which is heated by the sun's rays and then used to heat a working fluid in the power cycle.

2. What is the purpose of using solar collectors in a power cycle?

The purpose of using solar collectors in a power cycle is to harness the sun's energy and convert it into usable heat energy, which can then be used to generate electricity or power other processes.

3. How does a power cycle convert heat energy into electricity?

A power cycle uses the heat energy from the solar collectors to heat a working fluid, which then expands and drives a turbine or other machinery to generate electricity.

4. Are there different types of power cycles that can be used with solar collectors?

Yes, there are several different types of power cycles that can be used with solar collectors, including Rankine cycles, Stirling cycles, and Brayton cycles.

5. What are the advantages of using a power cycle with solar collectors?

There are several advantages to using a power cycle with solar collectors, including reduced reliance on fossil fuels, lower carbon emissions, and the ability to generate clean and renewable energy. Additionally, power cycles can be used in both large-scale and small-scale applications, making them a versatile option for solar energy production.