A Mathematician's View on the Existence of Time

In summary, the question asks how a mathematician views time and if they believe it exists. The poster also welcomes input from different perspectives such as presentists, possibilists, and eternalists. However, the thread is deemed unsuitable for the mathematics forum as it pertains to philosophy rather than technical mathematics questions.
snowfox2004
I am not certain if this is the right location to put this post, but since this is a section for mathematics and my question is one for mathematicians, it will be placed here for now:

How would you, as a mathematician, view time? More precisely, do you think time exists?

It might be strange to ask specifically for a mathematician's view, and perhaps a mathematician's view may be no different from a physicist's view or a philosopher's view but I am interested if there any interesting tidbits a mathematician can add.

I also welcome any input from presentists, possibilists, and eternalists out there.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yesterday, I didn't think time existed but today I do.

This thread does not meet the guidelines of this forum. The mathematics forum is suitable only for technical questions about mathematics, not for philosophy.

Related to A Mathematician's View on the Existence of Time

1. What is a mathematician's view on the existence of time?

A mathematician's view on the existence of time is that it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and physics, used to measure the duration of events and the intervals between them. It is often represented by a linear continuum, with one end representing the past and the other representing the future.

2. Is time considered to be a real, physical entity in mathematics?

In mathematics, time is not considered to be a real, physical entity. It is instead treated as an abstract concept that can be measured and studied using mathematical models and equations. This allows for a more precise and objective understanding of time.

3. How does mathematics contribute to our understanding of time's existence?

Mathematics provides a framework for measuring and quantifying time, as well as for understanding its relationship to other fundamental concepts such as space and motion. Through mathematical equations and models, we can explore the nature of time and its possible implications on the universe.

4. Can mathematics prove or disprove the existence of time?

No, mathematics cannot prove or disprove the existence of time. It can only provide a way to measure and understand the concept of time. The existence of time is still a subject of philosophical and scientific debate.

5. Are there different mathematical theories or perspectives on the existence of time?

Yes, there are different mathematical theories and perspectives on time's existence, such as the theory of relativity and the theory of quantum mechanics. These theories offer different explanations for the nature of time and its relationship to other fundamental concepts, and they continue to be studied and debated by mathematicians and scientists.