A circle in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture?

In summary, the Hubble Ultra Deep Field image shows a pattern of galaxies that some people say may be a sign of intelligence. There is no strong evidence to support this claim, and it is probably just coincidence.
Iconoclast
I was analyzing the Hubble Ultra Deep field image and I realized that if you look at the image from a certain distance from your monitor, you can notice there is a ring of galaxies, forming a circle. The following are the HUDF image and an image where I try to show where I see the circle (it is not properly placed, as the red line crosses some galaxies that are part of the circle, but you can get the idea).

My question is: Can this have any meaning at all? What's the explanation for this? Can it possibly have something to do with the expansion of the universe or the Big Bang? (probably not, but anyway, I want to ask.) Cheers.

D2sFme5.jpg

SE4ibfr.jpg

Space news on Phys.org
The images are too large. Anyway, try to look at them from a distance. Tip: You can go to the article about the Universe on Wikipedia. There is a smaller image there, and the circle is more easily seen

I think you are seeing a pattern in random data, this is quite a well known phenomena, in a sense our brain is a pattern seeking apparatus.
There is only a strong correlation to your circle for a group of galaxies at the top, and a few weaker ones elsewhere.
Think about it, what other possible mechanism could exist which makes different galaxies appear to form a ring as seen from Earth?
Seen from any other perspective these galaxies would not appear as a ring, or any other recognisable shape,
because they are not all at the same distance from us.
Surely you are not proposing that the ring you see indicates that Earth is in a very special location in the Universe from which the ring is visible?,
(... implying an intelligence that can engineer things on the scale of galaxies is trying to communicate with Earthlings?)

Last edited:
rootone's answer is sufficient. Thread closed.

Related to A circle in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture?

1. What is the Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture?

The Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture is a composite image created by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope that captures a small, seemingly empty patch of sky located in the Fornax constellation. It is considered one of the most iconic and significant images in astronomy, as it provides a glimpse into the earliest stages of the universe.

2. What is the significance of the circle in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture?

The circle in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture is an artifact caused by the telescope's optics and the way the image was created. It is not a real physical object in space. The circle is created by the diffraction spikes of bright stars in the image, and its size and shape can vary depending on the telescope's aperture and the filters used.

3. Why does the circle appear in the same spot in every version of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture?

The circle appears in the same spot in every version of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture because it is not a real object in space, but rather a result of the telescope's optics. The position of the circle is determined by the position of the bright stars in the image, which do not change.

4. Can the circle in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture be used to study or identify any celestial objects?

No, the circle in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture cannot be used to study or identify any celestial objects because it is not a real object in space. It is simply an artifact caused by the telescope's optics and does not have any scientific significance.

5. Are there other images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope that also have a circle in them?

Yes, there are other images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope that also have a circle in them. This is a common artifact in images taken by telescopes with similar optics. However, the size and shape of the circle can vary depending on the telescope's aperture and the filters used, so it may not always be as visible as in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field picture.