A basic math question about the current in a capacitor

In summary, the current in a capacitor is calculated using the equation i_{C}(t)=C \dfrac{dv_{C}(t)}{dt}. This can also be expressed using \omega t as the variable, resulting in the equation i_{C}(\omega t)=\omega C \dfrac{dv_{C}(\omega t)}{d(\omega t)}. The multiplication by \omega in this equation is due to the chain rule, where d(\omega t)/dt can be simplified to \omega. This explains why there is a multiplication by \omega when changing the independent variable from t to \omega t.
Adir_Sh
The current in a capacitor is calculated from

[itex]i_{C}(t)=C \dfrac{dv_{C}(t)}{dt}[/itex]​

when [itex]i_{C}(t)[/itex] is the current in the capacitor, [itex]t[/itex] is the time variable, [itex]C[/itex] is the capacitance and [itex]v_{C}(t)[/itex] is the capacitor's voltage.
This equation can also be expressed, using [itex]\omega t[/itex] as the variable, as

[itex]i_{C}(\omega t)=\omega C \dfrac{dv_{C}(\omega t)}{d(\omega t)}[/itex]​

Now my basic question is why there's a multiplication in [itex]\omega[/itex]? That is, why is it correct to multiply when changing in independent variable and multiplying in by frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]? Seemingly, the new variable, [itex]\omega t[/itex], is derived in the same manner as [itex]t[/itex] is derived when the function uses only [itex]t[/itex] as the independent variable.
I don't quite understand this little issue. Hope someone could explain that in a sentence.

Thanks in advance! :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Adir_Sh! :smile:
Adir_Sh said:
Now my basic question is why there's a multiplication in [itex]\omega[/itex]?

chain rule

dvC/dt

= dvC/d(ωt)*d(ωt)/dt

= dvC/d(ωt)*ω :wink:

Likes 1 person
Realize that d(wt) = w dt and you have your answer.

Related to A basic math question about the current in a capacitor

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

How is current related to a capacitor?

Current is the measurement of the flow of electric charge. In a capacitor, current flows as a result of the accumulation of electric charge on the plates. When the capacitor is fully charged, current stops flowing.

What is the current in a capacitor?

The current in a capacitor is constantly changing as the capacitor charges and discharges. It is determined by the rate of change of the electric charge on the plates, which is measured in amperes (A).

How is the current in a capacitor calculated?

The current in a capacitor can be calculated using the equation I = C * dV/dt, where I is the current, C is the capacitance of the capacitor, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage across the capacitor.

What factors affect the current in a capacitor?

The current in a capacitor is affected by the capacitance, voltage, and the rate at which the capacitor is charging or discharging. Other factors that may affect the current include the type of dielectric material used and the temperature.