8 balls how to arrange for adjoining?

In summary, there are a limited number of ways to put the white balls into the 4 spaces without using the "all arrangement - adjoining" method.
Helly123

Homework Statement

16_Mat_A_1.6.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer for no adjoining
_W_W_W_W_W_
for 3 red balls, there are 6 positions
so ## 6C_3 = 20##
i'm curious, on other way to find arrangement?

for adjoining = all arrangement - adjoining
all arrangement = 3 red can get to any positions _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ while white at the rest
i'm curious on other way to find arrangement?
so ## 8C_3 = 56 ##
adjoining = 56 - 20 = 36

i'm curious on how to find adjoining directly without ' all arrangement - adjoining ' ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Helly123 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 206649

Homework Equations

_W_W_W_W_W_
so ## 6C_3 = 20##

all arrangement = 3 red can get to any positions _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ while white at the rest
so ## 8C_3 = 56 ##
adjoining = 56 - 20 = 36

i'm curious on how to find adjoining directly without ' all arrangement - adjoining ' ?

Place the three red balls in a line with spaces between them; now you have 4 spaces (two between the outer and central reds and one at each end, outside). Your have 5 white balls that must be put into the 4 spaces, and two of those spaces must contain at least one white ball. The number of remaining possibilities is very limited.

Helly123 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 206649

Homework Equations

_W_W_W_W_W_
so ## 6C_3 = 20##

so ## 8C_3 = 56 ##
adjoining = 56 - 20 = 36

i'm curious on how to find adjoining directly without ' (all arrangement) - (non-adjoining) ' ?
Two possibilities for adjoining the red balls:
  1. All three Reds are adjoining.
  2. Two Reds are adjoining. The third Red is not adjoining.
For either one, use the _W_W_W_W_W_ configuration.

Ray Vickson said:
Place the three red balls in a line with spaces between them; now you have 4 spaces (two between the outer and central reds and one at each end, outside). Your have 5 white balls that must be put into the 4 spaces, and two of those spaces must contain at least one white ball. The number of remaining possibilities is very limited.
I've seen someone do it, but I don't really get it
_R _ _ R _ R_

(why 4 spaces?)
R _ _ R _ R_

W must on at 2 of them
R_W R W R _ ( like this? )
left 3 W, what am I supposed to do?

SammyS said:
Two possibilities for adjoining the red balls:
  1. All three Reds are adjoining.
  2. Two Reds are adjoining. The third Red is not adjoining.
For either one, use the _W_W_W_W_W_ configuration.
yes, I've tried it
for all Reds adjoining
RRR go together at one of the place at _W_W_W_W_W_ ?
## 6C_1##

for RR and R go to 2 places at _W_W_W_W_W_
## 6C_2 ##

how am I supposed to do?

Helly123 said:
I've seen someone do it, but I don't really get it
_R _ _ R _ R_

(why 4 spaces?)
R _ _ R _ R_

W must on at 2 of them
R_W R W R _ ( like this? )
left 3 W, what am I supposed to do?

I answered only for the case of NO adjoining reds.

To answer your question: look at your first diagram, which I have re-drawn: ____R____R____R____ (making each space wide enough to hold 5 balls). How many spaces ( ____ ) do you see?

The two middle spaces must each have at least one W; that leaves 3W's to go into the 4 spaces.

Now you are supposed to figure out how many possibilities there are. Look up "combinations" on-line if your book does not do it. (You have already been told about this in the other thread about counting chords.)

I cannot offer more help without doing the whole question for you.

Last edited:
Likes Helly123
Helly123 said:

for RR and R go to 2 places at _W_W_W_W_W_
## 6C_2 ##

how am I supposed to do?
How many ways can you place RR ?
For each of those, how many ways can you place R ?

Likes Helly123
Ray Vickson said:
I answered only for the case of NO adjoining reds.

To answer your question: look at your first diagram, which I have re-drawn: ____R____R____R____ (making each space wide enough to hold 5 balls). How many spaces ( ____ ) do you see?

The two middle spaces must each have at least one W; that leaves 3W's to go into the 4 spaces.
So i get :
If 3 W left can get to 4 positions
_R_R_R_

1st : all 3 go to same position _R_R_RWWW
So 4 arrangements

And then 2 W and 1W go to different position so we use permutation because we take the account of order, 4P2 = 12
R_RWWRW

And then 3 W go to 3 different position
WRWRW_
So 4C3 = 4

All arrangents : 4+4+12 = 20

SammyS said:
How many ways can you place RR ?
For each of those, how many ways can you place R ?

So 3R go to _W_W_W_W_W_

For RRR adjoining can go to 6 positions
6 arrangements

For RR and R go to different places
6P2 = 30 arrangements

So total arrangements = 36

Helly123 said:
So i get :
If 3 W left can get to 4 positions
_R_R_R_

1st : all 3 go to same position _R_R_RWWW
So 4 arrangements

And then 2 W and 1W go to different position so we use permutation because we take the account of order, 4P2 = 12
R_RWWRW

And then 3 W go to 3 different position
WRWRW_
So 4C3 = 4

All arrangents : 4+4+12 = 20

Right, or you can just quote standard results (available in lots of places on-line). You want to place ##k = 3## identical balls into ##n = 4## non-identical boxes (with no restrictions on the number of balls in any of the boxes), and the number of different ways of doing that is known to be ##C_k^{n+k-1} = C^6_3 = 20##, as you already obtained.

Likes Helly123

Related to 8 balls how to arrange for adjoining?

1. How many different ways can 8 balls be arranged for adjoining?

The number of ways 8 balls can be arranged for adjoining depends on the specific criteria for adjoining. If all 8 balls must be touching each other, there is only one way to arrange them. If they can only touch in a line, there are 8 possible arrangements. If they can touch in any combination, there are 8! (8 factorial) possible arrangements, which is 40,320.

2. What is the most efficient way to arrange 8 balls for adjoining?

Again, the most efficient way depends on the criteria for adjoining. If efficiency is measured by the number of arrangements that can be made, the most efficient way would be to allow for any combination of adjoining, resulting in 8! possible arrangements. However, if efficiency is measured by minimizing the number of moves needed to arrange the balls, the most efficient way would be to have them touch in a line, requiring only 7 moves.

3. Can the 8 balls be arranged for adjoining in a perfect circle?

Yes, it is possible to arrange the 8 balls in a perfect circle. This would require each ball to touch two other balls, resulting in a total of 4 possible arrangements.

4. Is there a mathematical formula for calculating the number of possible arrangements for adjoining 8 balls?

Yes, the formula for calculating the number of possible arrangements for n balls adjoining is n! (n factorial). In this case, with 8 balls, the formula would be 8! or 40,320.

5. How does the number of balls affect the number of possible arrangements for adjoining?

The number of balls directly affects the number of possible arrangements for adjoining. The formula n! (n factorial) shows that as the number of balls increases, the number of possible arrangements increases at an exponential rate. For example, with 10 balls, there are 10! or 3,628,800 possible arrangements, and with 100 balls, there are 100! or 9.33 x 10^157 possible arrangements.