500 ohm resister fed from 120 VP-Pac source

• Thread starter stevielee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ohm Source
In summary, the question asks for the amount of heat dissipated by a 500 ohm resistor when it is fed by a 120 volt peak AC source, either in the form of a sine wave or a square wave. To solve this, we need to know the equation for power dissipated by a resistor. However, the person asking the question is new to the course and is not familiar with basic formulas. In a DC circuit, the power dissipated can be calculated by using the potential difference across the resistor.
stevielee

Homework Statement

a 500 ohm resister is fed by 120 Volt P-Peak ac source;How much heat does the resister dissipate if the signal is a sine wave or a square wave?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the equation for power dissipated by a resistor?

I don't know I just started this course and what happened is they offered an ac circuts short course with no prerequisites and actually all but three of us have been in the class under DC circuts for three months now, we are so behind and we really want to understand and it's a ***** when your so uninformed about basic formulas and such, I refuse to give up so, no I don't know what that equation is all the quest wants is how much neat is lost when 120 volts peak is put across a circute with a 500 ohm resister in it and how much is lost in a sine wave or a square wave?

If it were a DC circuit, what would be the power dissipated given that the potential difference across the resistor is V?

To calculate the heat dissipated by the resistor, we can use the formula P = I^2*R, where P is power (in watts), I is current (in amperes), and R is resistance (in ohms).

For a sine wave, the peak current (I) can be calculated using the formula I = V/R, where V is the peak voltage (in volts). In this case, the peak voltage is 120 volts, so the peak current would be 120/500 = 0.24 amperes.

To find the power, we need to square the current and multiply by the resistance. So, P = (0.24)^2 * 500 = 28.8 watts. This is the amount of heat that the resistor would dissipate when connected to a sine wave 120 volt P-Pac source.

For a square wave, the peak current would be the same as for a sine wave, 0.24 amperes. However, the power would be different because the current is constant throughout the square wave. So, P = (0.24)^2 * 500 = 28.8 watts.

Both the sine wave and square wave would dissipate the same amount of heat, 28.8 watts, in the 500 ohm resistor. This is because the power dissipated by a resistor is dependent on the current and resistance, not the type of waveform.

Related to 500 ohm resister fed from 120 VP-Pac source

1. What is the purpose of using a 500 ohm resistor with a 120 VP-Pac source?

The 500 ohm resistor is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. In this case, it is being used with a 120 VP-Pac source to ensure that the current does not exceed a certain level and potentially damage the circuit.

2. How does the 500 ohm resistor affect the voltage in the circuit?

The 500 ohm resistor will cause a voltage drop in the circuit, meaning that the voltage measured after the resistor will be lower than the voltage from the source. The amount of voltage drop will depend on the resistance and the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

3. What happens if a different value resistor is used instead of 500 ohms?

The amount of current in the circuit will be affected by changing the resistance. A lower resistance will allow more current to flow, while a higher resistance will limit the current. This can change the overall behavior of the circuit and potentially damage components if the resistance is too low.

4. Can a 500 ohm resistor be used with any voltage source?

As long as the voltage source is within the operating range of the resistor, it can be used. The 500 ohm resistor in this scenario is rated for a maximum of 120 volts, so it would not be suitable for a higher voltage source.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of current that can flow through the 500 ohm resistor?

Yes, the 500 ohm resistor has a maximum current rating that should not be exceeded. It is important to ensure that the amount of current in the circuit does not exceed this limit to prevent damage to the resistor.