2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution

In summary, Snoopy runs towards his doghouse at a speed of 3.0 m/s [N 15° E] for 35 seconds, covering a distance of 0.11m. He then turns around and runs towards Charlie at a speed of 4.5 m/s [S 45° W] for 30 seconds. Using the pythagorean theorem, Snoopy's displacement can be calculated to be approximately 4.19m at a direction of 222° west of north.
endverse

Homework Statement

Snoopy is running to his doghouse at 3.0 m/s [N 15° E] for 35 s. Charlie has a bone and calls his dog back. Snoopy immediately turns around and runs towards Charlie at 4.5 m/s [S 45° W] for 30 s. Find Snoopy's displacement.

Homework Equations

dt = d1 + d2
d1=d1x + d1y & d2=d2x + d2y
d1x = V1x/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I've started off with the components. N, E (+) and W, S (-)
V1x = (3.0)(sin15) & V1y = (3.0)(cos15)
V2x = (-4.5)(cos45) & V2y = (-4.5)(sin 45)

d1x = V1x/t
= (3.0)(sin15)/35
= 0.022m

d1y = V1y/t
= (3.0)(cos75)/35
= 0.083m
Therefore d1=0.022+0.083 = 0.11m...

I did the same thing for d2, splitting it up into its component parts. I know that after this I have to use d1, d2 and dr in the pythagorean theorem to find magnitude and then find the vector direction with the tan ratio. I'm just wondering if so far I am on the right track

Physics news on Phys.org
Agh sorry, please lock this thread. I just rearranged incorrectly for d... it's d=vt not d=v/t
:\

Related to 2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution

1. What is 2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution?

2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution is a method used to break down a vector into its horizontal and vertical components in two-dimensional space. It is used to analyze the motion of objects in two dimensions.

2. Why is 2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution important?

2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution is important because it allows us to analyze the motion of objects in two dimensions, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as physics and engineering. It also helps us understand and predict the path of an object's motion.

3. What are the steps for solving a 2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution problem?

The steps for solving a 2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution problem are:
1. Identify the given vector and the angles involved.
2. Draw a diagram of the vector and break it down into its horizontal and vertical components.
3. Use trigonometry to find the magnitude of each component.
4. Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the total magnitude of the vector.
5. Use trigonometric functions to find the direction of the vector.

4. How does 2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution relate to projectile motion?

2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution is crucial in understanding and analyzing projectile motion. It allows us to break down the initial velocity of the projectile into its horizontal and vertical components, which helps us predict the trajectory of the projectile. It also helps us calculate the range, maximum height, and time of flight of the projectile.

5. Can 2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution be used for non-linear motion?

Yes, 2-D Kinematics Vector Resolution can be used for non-linear motion as long as the motion can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components. It is a versatile method and can be applied to a wide range of motion problems in two dimensions.