10^80 particles in observable v unobservable universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the unobservable universe and whether it is infinite or finite. The speaker argues that the universe is finite based on several arguments, including the finite nature of the past and present boundaries, the implications of an infinite universe on the cosmological constant, the difficulty of measuring quantities in an infinite universe, and the evidence shown in a graph indicating a finite size for the unobservable universe. The other speaker challenges these arguments and suggests that the universe could have started out as infinite. The conversation also touches on the idea of a multiverse and the impact of events occurring in distant parts of an infinite universe on our own observable universe
Number Nine said:
This has been very clearly explained to you several times, by several different people. The fact that you are still repeating this nonsense about the Universe growing in size suggests that you either aren't interested in learning anything about cosmology, or that you just aren't ready to been taking an interest in physics, because you clearly aren't understanding the very basic explanations that people are putting forward. Personally, I think you're just a crank. The reason you're a crank is that you seem to genuinely believe that you have discovered some sort of trivial logical argument (finite times finite equals finite!11!) that every physicist and mathematician in the world has simply overlooked, and that, by this argument, you have undermined all of the work that has been done in cosmology over the last hundred years. This honestly reminds of the classic creationist talking point whereby every scientist in the world has simply failed to notice that evolution violates the laws of thermodynamics.
All this is a long winded ad hominem attack and it demonstrates you're inability to understand what rational argument is. It also proves that you are unable to understand any other point of view than you're own.

The only reason why you threw out those insults is because you've realized you have no evidence that the size of the universe is infinite and you're afraid to admit you're wrong. Instead what you do is say something like the following:

Metric expansion refers to the fact that, on a large scale, the distances between objects in the cosmos is increasing. It does not, and I repeat this for the fifth time, it does not mean that the radius of the Universe is is increasing, or expanding out into something.
We've already dealt with this issue. You've admitted that metric expansion does not imply an infinite universe so this point is now moot. At issue here is whether the size of the universe is infinite not whether the radius of the Universe is is increasing.

You should consider the possibility that the entirely of the scientific community, which seems to have no problem with the notion of an infinite Universe, may know a tad bit more than you do.
This is another irrelevant statement and demonstrates your inability to understand what reason is.

Where has anyone argued that the Universe began with finite radius and has since become infinite? The authors establish a lower bound for the diameter of the universe at 10^-34 seconds; so what? What does that have to do with your argument?

You wrote:
Your argument was as follows: the expansion of the Universe involved the Universe beginning with finite size and increasing in radius over time, therefore the current size of the Universe must be finite. You grossly misunderstand the notion of inflation in Big Bang cosmology and your argument fails utterly when expansion is understood as metric expansion.

In other words, you're taking the contrary view and you're asserting that metric expansion refutes my argument. You then proceded to fail to back up your assertion with any rationale which again demonstrates your inability to understand the basics of logical argument. You're only capable of bald assertions and begging the question.

I'm through with you Number Nine. All your posts in the future will be ignored. I have ample evidence to conclude that I have nothing to learn from you. Other people on this forum are 100 times more helpful than you such as nicksauce and isometricpion.

Space news on Phys.org
Dickfore said:
Hey OP, would you agree that the Universe is infinite if it is flat?

robertjford80 said:
I realize Hawking believes that but it doesn't make sense. It's a straight-up contradiction. If you believe the universe doubled in size every 10^-34 seconds 90 times then you can't believe the universe is infinite. Moreover, if the expansion rate is finite, even if it is metric, and the age of the universe is finite, then the size of the universe is finite.

So, do you agree or do you not agree with my question? Because your response has nothing to do with my query?

Dickfore said:
So, do you agree or do you not agree with my question? Because your response has nothing to do with my query?

You are SO wasting your time. This guy is clearly not listening to anything anyone is saying. He just keeps repeating the same nonsense over and over.

phinds said:
You are SO wasting your time. This guy is clearly not listening to anything anyone is saying. He just keeps repeating the same nonsense over and over.

Yet, I would like to get a straight answer from him (her).

robertjford80 said:
If this is true, then what are they? You can't tell because you're just guessing that the odds of a prime below 9 digits is more or less similar to the odds of a prime above 9 digits.

I asked you to go ahead and calculate the probability of a number being prime and you didn't but said that someone else has done it.

If we define for [itex]A\subseteq \mathbb{N}[/itex]

[tex]d(A)=\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{|A\cap \{1,...,n\}|}{n}[/tex]

as our "probability", then the prime number theorem gives us that the probability that a number is prime is exactly 0.

You can't get an exact number with infinity. Infinity divided by infinity equals infinity.

Wrong. Check this FAQ about the use of infinite in mathematics: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=507003

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
If we define for [itex]A\subseteq \mathbb{N}[/itex]

[tex]d(A)=\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{|A\cap \{1,...,n\}|}{n}[/tex]

as our "probability", then the prime number theorem gives us that the probability that a number is prime is exactly 0.
Wrong. Check this FAQ about the use of infinite in mathematics: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=507003

You are wrong. Hawking is wrong. Science is wrong. Since the universe has a finite age the prime number theorem, although independent of the universe's age, is wrong. Also, Infinity / Infinity = Infinity because math.
/sarcasm

Last edited by a moderator:
WannabeNewton said:
You are wrong. Hawking is wrong. Science is wrong. Since the universe has a finite age the prime number theorem, although independent of the universe's age, is wrong. Also, Infinity / Infinity = Infinity because math.

You're right. Science is just a theory.

I have a feeling that the OP doesn't know what differential geometry is so what exactly is the point of this kind of argument? It's like arguing the finer points of QED with someone who seems like they just learned trigonometry and claims they can calculate cross-sections using similar triangles.

Dickfore said:

Just make your argument.

This thread is becoming silly. Locked.

Last edited: