Why Do I Struggle with Airframe Structures Exam Preparation?

In summary, the person failed their airframe structures exam and is now trying to practice exercises to prepare for the resit. They are struggling and seeking help from others. They have questions about the exercises, such as why the sketches have different shapes and what the numbers represent. They also apologize for not paying enough attention. The expert provides a summary of the questions and answers, explaining that the shapes represent different types of loading and the numbers come from solving the integral of tz. The expert encourages the person to keep practicing and offers help if needed.
Swansea_J
Hello everybody.

Well, I failed my airframe structures exam in May, and now have to resit it.

I have been attempting to do some exercises to get back into it, but it all looks foreign to me. I'm struggling A LOT, and another fail would mean that I have to resit the year (even though I passed my other 9 modules!).

I figured I would post up some of the exercises I'm struggling with, and anyone who is willing to try and give me some pointers is absolutely welcome.

I may bump the thread every now and again incase it goes right down the bottom of the pile and no one sees it.

Also, I apoligize if these seem stupidly simple, I guess I didn't pay enough attention :(

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------

The first example I'm doing. A simple thin-walled open section.

2v0za0o.jpg

Finding Iy is simple, but then I have to sketch the tz diagram and the integral of tz. Here is the answer, but I really can't figure it out for myself

vdiu1j.jpg

My questions are;

Why are the sketches those shapes? (Some are rectangles, some are triangles)
Why are they positive and negative and how do you work out which one is which?
Where do the numbers come from?

BIG THANKYOU to anyone who knows!

Physics news on Phys.org
Incase anybody wanted to know, I have managed to work out the answers to my questions (Little disappointed no one attempted to help!)

The shapes correspond to the tz value. A rectangle shape means the tz value is constant, so the line is a constant, straight line. A triangle means that the tz value is linear (because it changes along the z-axis), so the slope in the line which makes the triangle displays this. Integrating the triangle (linear) value will result in a quadratic, which is the parabola shape.

The positive and negative signs simply correspond to the z co-ordinate of the shape with respect to the global axis.

The numbers come from multiplying the thickness of the bar, by it's z co-ordinate.

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear that you failed your airframe structures exam, but don't worry, you can still pass the resit! It's great that you are trying to do some exercises to get back into it. That shows determination and a willingness to improve.

I can understand how it may seem foreign to you, especially after failing the exam. But don't worry, with practice and some helpful pointers, you'll be able to understand it better.

As for your questions about the exercises, let me try to help you out.

The sketches are different shapes because they represent the different types of loading on the structure. For example, a rectangle represents a constant loading, while a triangle represents a linearly varying loading. The positive and negative signs indicate the direction of the loading. Positive means the loading is in the same direction as the axis, while negative means it is in the opposite direction.

The numbers in the answer are the values of the loading at different points along the structure. These values are obtained by solving the integral of tz. I know it may seem daunting, but with practice, you'll be able to figure it out.

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask for more clarification if needed. Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll do great in the resit. Good luck!

Related to Why Do I Struggle with Airframe Structures Exam Preparation?

1. What topics will be covered in the Airframe Structures exam?

The Airframe Structures exam will cover topics such as structural materials, stress analysis, fatigue and fracture mechanics, structural design principles, and non-destructive testing methods.

2. How many questions will be on the Airframe Structures exam?

The number of questions on the Airframe Structures exam may vary, but it typically includes 50-60 multiple choice questions.

3. How long will I have to complete the Airframe Structures exam?

The time allotted for the Airframe Structures exam is usually 2-3 hours. However, this may vary depending on the specific exam and testing institution.

4. Are there any study materials available for the Airframe Structures exam?

Yes, there are various study materials available such as textbooks, practice exams, and online resources. It is important to consult with your instructor or academic advisor for recommended study materials.

5. Is the Airframe Structures exam difficult?

The difficulty of the Airframe Structures exam may vary for each individual, but it is generally considered a challenging exam due to its technical and theoretical nature. It is important to thoroughly study and understand the material in order to perform well on the exam.