Where to Find Time Periods of Phugoid Motion for Aircrafts

In summary, The speaker has created a program for simulating aircraft motion, specifically natural modes like phugoid and short phugoid. They are trying to validate the accuracy of their program by comparing it to existing data, but are having trouble finding time period data for different aircraft such as the Boeing 747, Cessna 182, and Beechcraft 99. They are asking for suggestions on where to find this data or why it may be difficult to obtain. They also mention that even approximate time periods would be helpful.
Orion_uvw
Hello, I have made program for simulating aircraft motion.
I am able to obtain natural modes of motion like phugoid, short phugoid, etc.
but to check whether it is simulating correctly, I need to validate it with some existing data,
so i tried to compare the time period of phugoid of Boeing 747-200 with some data but it seems nowhere on the internet I am able to obtain the time periods of phugoid motion of different aircrafts like boeing 747, cessna 182, beechcraft 99, etc.
Can somebody suggest a good source where this data will available ? or atleast tell the reason why such time period data is hard to obtain ?

Even approximate time periods will be helpful.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be hard because it is probably proprietary.

Thanks for the reply. But can i get approximate time periods like after searching i found that 747 has phugoid time period of about 93 seconds.
Like so and so family of aircrafts have phugoid time periods in so and so range ?

Related to Where to Find Time Periods of Phugoid Motion for Aircrafts

1. What is phugoid motion?

Phugoid motion is a type of oscillatory motion that occurs in aircrafts, specifically during longitudinal flight. It is characterized by a continuous cycle of pitching up and down, with a period of approximately 100 seconds.

2. Why is it important to know the time periods of phugoid motion for aircrafts?

Knowing the time periods of phugoid motion is crucial for aircraft design and stability. It helps engineers determine the appropriate control surfaces and control algorithms to ensure safe and stable flight.

3. How can the time periods of phugoid motion be calculated?

The time periods of phugoid motion can be calculated using various mathematical models and equations, such as the characteristic equation of phugoid motion or the transfer function of the aircraft. These calculations require inputs such as the aircraft's weight, lift and drag coefficients, and other aerodynamic factors.

4. Are the time periods of phugoid motion the same for all aircrafts?

No, the time periods of phugoid motion can vary depending on the specific aircraft's design and flight conditions. Factors such as weight, wing shape, and airspeed can all impact the time periods of phugoid motion.

5. Can the time periods of phugoid motion change during flight?

Yes, the time periods of phugoid motion can change during flight due to various factors such as changes in airspeed, altitude, or weight. These changes can affect the aircraft's stability and may require adjustments to be made by the pilot or through autopilot systems.