What steps should I take to prepare for a future at MIT?

In summary, as a freshman in high school, you may be feeling lost about how to plan for getting into a prestigious college like MIT. Some tips to follow include taking challenging courses in science and math, taking standardized tests early and performing well, participating in math and science competitions, and applying to the Research Science Institute program. It's important to focus on what you love and enjoy, rather than solely trying to make your application look good.
MC.Rice
I am a freshman in high school and I don't know what to do in terms of a plan to get to a big college. MIT in particular. I come from the meth capitol aberdeen,WA and yes it is a small crappy town and I feel like I have no hope. If someone out there could please help me on some guidelines to follow or maybe some good opportunities that I should take such as scholarship programs or what classes I should take what I should read and what programs to get involved in it would be much appreciated and probably life changing, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to give you some pointers I wish I was given in my freshman year.

Take the toughest science and math classes your high school offers. Make sure you also take other classes to show that you're not a science drone.
Take the standardized tests as soon as possible and do your best.
Try to participate in math and science competitions. (MIT asks for AMC and AIME scores on their application, so it would be a good idea to take them and score well.)
Try to apply to RSI (Research Science Institute) in your junior year. MIT almost never rejects RSI participants.
And most importantly, avoid doing things solely because you think they'd make your application look good. Do what you love and enjoy.

Last edited:

As a freshman in high school, it's great that you are already thinking about your future and setting your sights on a prestigious college like MIT. It can be overwhelming and intimidating to think about the steps you need to take to get there, but there are definitely resources and opportunities available to help you along the way.

First and foremost, make sure you are taking challenging courses in high school that will prepare you for the rigor of college. This includes advanced placement (AP) or honors classes in subjects like math, science, and computer science, as well as electives that align with your interests and potential major at MIT.

In terms of scholarship programs, MIT offers a variety of need-based and merit-based scholarships for undergraduate students. These can cover a significant portion of your tuition and living expenses, so it's important to research and apply for these opportunities. Additionally, there are many external scholarship programs specifically for students from low-income or underrepresented backgrounds, such as the Gates Millennium Scholars Program and the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarship.

Aside from scholarships, it's also important to get involved in extracurricular activities and programs that align with your interests and showcase your strengths. This can include participating in STEM-related clubs, volunteering in your community, or pursuing research opportunities. MIT values well-rounded students who are passionate and driven, so don't be afraid to explore different activities and find what truly inspires you.

Lastly, don't underestimate the power of networking and seeking guidance from mentors. Reach out to people in your community who have attended or are currently attending MIT, or even alumni from your high school, and ask for their advice and insights. They can provide valuable tips and support as you navigate your journey to MIT.

Remember, it's never too early to start planning and taking steps towards your goals. Stay determined and focused, and don't let your hometown or background hold you back. With hard work and perseverance, you can achieve your dreams of attending MIT. Best of luck to you!

Related to What steps should I take to prepare for a future at MIT?

1. What is the eligibility criteria for MIT scholarship programs?

The eligibility criteria for MIT scholarship programs vary depending on the specific program. Generally, applicants must demonstrate academic excellence, leadership potential, and financial need. Some programs may also have specific requirements such as a certain GPA or specific extracurricular activities.

2. How do I apply for a scholarship at MIT?

To apply for a scholarship at MIT, you must first apply for admission to the university. Once you have been accepted, you can then apply for specific scholarship programs through the MIT Office of Financial Aid. Each scholarship program may have its own application process and requirements, so be sure to carefully review them before applying.

3. Are international students eligible for MIT scholarship programs?

Yes, international students are eligible for some MIT scholarship programs. However, the availability and eligibility requirements may vary depending on the program. It is important to carefully review the specific program's requirements before applying as an international student.

4. Can I receive multiple scholarships at MIT?

Yes, it is possible to receive multiple scholarships at MIT. However, some scholarship programs may have restrictions on receiving other scholarships or financial aid, so be sure to carefully review the terms and conditions of each program before applying.

5. Are scholarships renewable for all four years at MIT?

It depends on the specific scholarship program. Some scholarships may be renewable for all four years, while others may only be renewable for one or two years. Be sure to check the terms and conditions of each scholarship to understand the renewal process and requirements.