What Really Happened at Arecibo

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
In summary: I would have thought something a mere few km across at L2 would be ideal. Plenty of room at L2, with a bit of crafty station keeping. Plus the 'dish' would be steerable.In summary, the very similar FAST radio telescope in China is 500 m diameter.
TL;DR Summary
Analysis of the Arecibo telescope collapse

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Filip Larsen
Engineering news on Phys.org
The video shows as unavailable for me here in the forum. Reading your post source code, it looks like it's a link to Practical Engineering's video on the topic, yes?

Likes Klystron
yes its the practical engineering channel of youtube.

This is the second time my links have broken. I'm thinking its due to our recent merge.

jedishrfu said:
yes its the practical engineering channel of youtube.

This is the second time my links have broken. I'm thinking its due to our recent merge.
When I reply to your original message, I see this in the YouTube link - 3oBCtTv6yOw, list: WL.
The comma and the stuff after it are breaking it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes sophiecentaur
You can Right-Click on the Video Unavailable message, then select "Copy Video URL".
Paste the copied URL into the address bar of your browser, and hit "Enter" on your keyboard. Then the magic happens and you have the video!

Cheers,
Tom

Borg said:
When I reply to your original message, I see this in the YouTube link - 3oBCtTv6yOw, list: WL.
The comma and the stuff after it are breaking it.

Thanks @Borg that was it. Now I just have to figure how that extra stuff got there.

I posted the correct link in post #2, but a moderator removed it without explanation.

• Sad
Likes Tom.G
Sorry @Baluncore that was me, it appeared in your post as text ie was missing the media tags so I deleted it.

I did fix my original post after @Borg pointed out the issue with the url. I need to figure out if it was me and how I got the link initially or not.

Rather than continue to belabor my poorly executed post can we get back to our regularly scheduled thread?

I felt the Youtuber did a great job explaining what happened at Arecibo. I do wish they would build a new bigger, better and more modern scope there otherwise they’ll have to reboot the Goldeneye and Contact movies removing the Arecibo scenes and the Nintendo Goldeneye game too.

Likes russ_watters and Baluncore
Practical engineering is a fantastic channel. Definitely worth watching all of his videos.

Likes hutchphd and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
I do wish they would build a new bigger, better and more modern scope there
I suspect that would be easier to do in space - or, given a few years, on the Moon (cheap construction methods and a fantastic choice of craters). With a rotation rate of 28 times that of the Earth, they could do some really good long exposures.

Likes russ_watters and jedishrfu
True, but having it back would give us a resource we've depended on for a long time. Most of the newer space scopes are focused on using shorter wavelengths, not radio waves.

Likes russ_watters
jedishrfu said:
True, but having it back would give us a resource we've depended on for a long time.
Arecibo reached the end of it's service life. We have looked at that strip of the sky for long enough. It is now time to select a different latitude.

jedishrfu said:
Most of the newer space scopes are focused on using shorter wavelengths, not radio waves.
What do you call "radio waves"? Arecibo only worked up to 5 GHz. Radio astronomy extends above 100 GHz.

Likes russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
I suspect that would be easier to do in space - or, given a few years, on the Moon (cheap construction methods and a fantastic choice of craters). With a rotation rate of 28 times that of the Earth, they could do some really good long exposures.
Plus, no hurricanes!

Likes jedishrfu
Sorry, Arecibo is known as a radio telescope in popular parlance, and that's why I used radio waves to refer to what it captured.

sophiecentaur said:
I suspect that would be easier to do in space
Let imagination run wild. I read a proposal in the 1970s to make a light sail spacecraft . It would be made of aluminum, only 2 atoms thick. Its diameter would be bigger than the moon, yet the whole thing would mass only a few grams. For propulsion, it would be pumped by lasers in close solar orbit. It could achieve 0.3 c before leaving the solar system. But for the rest of the voyage, the sail would be free to act as a reflector dish.

Unlike FTL travel, that wild dream is only impossibly difficult (small i) not Impossible (capital I).

Likes sophiecentaur
anorlunda said:
Its diameter would be bigger than the moon,
I would have thought something a mere few km across at L2 would be ideal. Plenty of room at L2, with a bit of crafty station keeping. Plus the 'dish' would be steerable.

Related to What Really Happened at Arecibo

1. What is Arecibo and why is it significant?

Arecibo is a radio telescope located in Puerto Rico that has been in operation since 1963. It is the largest single-aperture telescope in the world, measuring 1,000 feet in diameter. Arecibo is significant because it has been instrumental in making groundbreaking discoveries in astronomy, including the first direct image of an asteroid and the first detection of planets outside our solar system.

2. What happened to the Arecibo telescope?

In August 2020, a cable supporting the telescope's receiver platform broke, causing significant damage to the telescope. In November 2020, a second cable broke, leading to the collapse of the receiver platform. As a result, the telescope is currently out of commission and its future remains uncertain.

3. Was anyone injured during the collapse of the Arecibo telescope?

Thankfully, no one was injured during the collapse of the Arecibo telescope. The National Science Foundation, which manages the telescope, had already evacuated the site and implemented safety protocols due to the initial cable break in August.

4. What impact does the collapse of Arecibo have on scientific research?

The collapse of Arecibo is a significant loss for the scientific community. The telescope was used for a wide range of research, including studying pulsars, searching for extraterrestrial intelligence, and tracking potentially hazardous asteroids. Its collapse will have a major impact on these and other areas of research that relied on the capabilities of the Arecibo telescope.

5. Will Arecibo be rebuilt or replaced?

At this time, it is uncertain if Arecibo will be rebuilt or replaced. The National Science Foundation is currently conducting an assessment of the damage and evaluating potential options for the future of the telescope. However, given the significant cost and technical challenges involved, it may not be possible to rebuild or replace Arecibo in the near future.