What physics careers are even really possible for me?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 16-year-old's plans to pursue a masters in physics and their curiosity about the different fields of physics, particularly research in nuclear physics, particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum mechanics and string theory. It is recommended that the individual focus on building a strong foundation in physics before deciding on a specific sub-field to specialize in, and to consider the practical applications and employability of different areas. It is also suggested to consult resources from organizations such as the APS and IoP for more information on career options in physics.
Fraser MacDonald
I am currently 16 and from Scotland. I plan on completing a masters in physics once I go to university, however I am now starting to wonder what fields of physics are the best to go into. My preference would be to do research, which leads to my other question of how possible is it to have a career in research, whether that be in nuclear physics, particle physics, condensed matter physics, or even research in quantum mechanics and string theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you haven't already done so, I would recommend a read of the "So You Want to Be a Physicist" essay.

As a general rule, the fields in physics with the most career options are the ones with the most direct practical applications, or the ones that solve the kinds of problems that other people are willing to pay money to have you solve. But at 16 years old, there isn't much point in spending a lot of effort trying to figure out which sub-field to aim for. That's a decision that's best made as you complete your undergraduate studies. At your stage of the game you should read up as much as you can on the areas that interest you and focus on learning the basics and building as solid of a foundation as you can so that when it is time to pick a direction you can do so in as informed a manner as possible.

It may be - depending on how close you are to entering university (I don't know the Scottish system) - a good time to start thinking about whether you really want to pursue physics itself as a course of study. Data on careers and such are available from the APS - although generally it is specific to the US.

Fraser MacDonald said:
I am currently 16 and from Scotland. I plan on completing a masters in physics once I go to university, however I am now starting to wonder what fields of physics are the best to go into. My preference would be to do research, which leads to my other question of how possible is it to have a career in research, whether that be in nuclear physics, particle physics, condensed matter physics, or even research in quantum mechanics and string theory?

If you wish to be employed as a professional physicist, then you need to aim for a PhD. After that, your "employability" depends very much on where you are seeking employment, what area of specialty you were in, what skills and ability that you have, the economic situation at where you are seeking employment, etc... etc.

At this stage, since you are in the UK, I strong suggest you check out the IoP website

http://www.iop.org/

In particular, check out the resources available for students:

http://www.iop.org/education/student/index.html

Zz.

Related to What physics careers are even really possible for me?

1. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in physics?

There are many different career paths you can pursue with a degree in physics. Some common options include research positions in academia or industry, teaching at the high school or college level, working in engineering or technology, or pursuing a career in finance or data analysis.

2. Do I need a graduate degree to have a successful career in physics?

While a graduate degree can open up more opportunities in the field of physics, it is not always necessary for a successful career. Many undergraduate physics majors go on to work in a variety of industries without pursuing further education.

3. What skills do I need to have for a career in physics?

Some of the key skills for a career in physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, mathematical and computational skills, and the ability to conduct research and analyze data. Good communication skills and the ability to work well in teams are also important for many positions.

4. Can I work in a non-scientific field with a physics degree?

Absolutely! The skills and knowledge gained from a physics degree can be applied to a wide range of industries, including finance, data analysis, and even healthcare. Many employers value the analytical and problem-solving abilities of physics majors and seek them out for positions in various fields.

5. Are there opportunities for international work in the field of physics?

Yes, there are many opportunities for international work in physics. Research collaborations, conferences, and job opportunities are available all over the world. Additionally, many multinational companies and organizations hire physicists for positions in different countries.