What is the Inverse Fourier Transform of cos(4ω)?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the inverse Fourier transform of cos(4ω) using the duality property. The correct answer is x(t) = 1/2*[δ(t-4) + δ(t+4)], which may differ from what WolframAlpha gives due to simplification. The person was encouraged to keep working and ask for clarification if needed.
helderdias
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to solve an exercise in which I need to find x(t) considering that X(ω) = cos(4ω). So, I need to find the Inverse Fourier Transform of cos(4ω), but I don't have the inverse Fourier transform table.

So, I thought about applying the duality property. If x(t) <--> X(ω), then X(t) <--> 2π*x(-ω)

cos(4ω) <--> π[δ(ω-4) + δ(ω+4)]

Applying the duality property

π[δ(t-4) + δ(t+4)] <--> 2π.cos(-4ω)

Since cos(x) = cos(-x)

1/2*[δ(t-4) + δ(t+4)] <-->cos(4ω)

Therefore

x(t) = 1/2*[δ(t-4) + δ(t+4)]

Is that correct? WolframAlpha is giving me a different answer :(

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It looks like you are on the right track! Your application of the duality property is correct, but there is a small mistake in your final answer. The correct inverse Fourier transform of cos(4ω) should be x(t) = 1/2*[δ(t-4) + δ(t+4)].

WolframAlpha may be giving you a different answer because it simplifies the expression further to just δ(t-4), since δ functions are considered to be 0 everywhere except at the point of interest. However, your answer is also correct and both expressions are equivalent.

Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. Good luck with your exercise!

Related to What is the Inverse Fourier Transform of cos(4ω)?

1. What is an Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a signal in the frequency domain and converts it back to its original form in the time domain. It is the reverse process of the Fourier Transform.

2. What is the purpose of an Inverse Fourier Transform?

The main purpose of an Inverse Fourier Transform is to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain, such as filtering out specific frequencies or identifying patterns. It is also used to convert signals between the time and frequency domains, which can be useful in signal processing and data compression.

3. How is an Inverse Fourier Transform performed?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is typically performed using mathematical algorithms or software programs. It involves calculating the inverse of the complex exponential function used in the Fourier Transform and performing an integration over a given range of frequencies.

4. What are some practical applications of the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Inverse Fourier Transform has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. It is commonly used in image and audio processing, data analysis, pattern recognition, and telecommunications.

5. Are there any limitations to the Inverse Fourier Transform?

Like any mathematical operation, the Inverse Fourier Transform has its limitations. It may not work well with non-stationary signals or signals with sharp discontinuities. In some cases, it may also introduce artifacts or distortions in the time domain signal. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the properties of the signal before applying the Inverse Fourier Transform.