What is so special about benzaldehyde?

• Thread starter ssb
  • Start date
In summary, benzaldehyde is a common aromatic aldehyde that has many industrial uses, including the synthesis of other organic molecules. It is fairly non-toxic, and has a UV chromophore that can be used in thin layer chromatography. Additionally, it has a nice smell, and is not dangerous if spilled.
ssb
Someone asked me this today and I didnt know what to tell them other than the carbonyl group is stabelized really well with the benzene ring. Anything else really special about it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's special because it smells like almonds.

ShawnD said:
It's special because it smells like almonds.

Uh oh i always run out of the lab when I smell that! I am afraid of C tripple bond N groups

Why does this silly thing do a double post when ever I come back to check for replies? dang nabit

It is the simplest representative of the aromatic aldehydes and one of the most industrially used members of this family of compounds. It is used chiefly in the synthesis of other organic compounds

ssb said:
Uh oh i always run out of the lab when I smell that! I am afraid of C tripple bond N groups

Huh? I don't think benzaldehyde even has a nitrogen :confused:

But cyanide (HCN) does smell like almonds as well...

I always wonder how people know things like that. It's like asking "how does it feel to have your face run over by a lawn mower?" The only guy who knows is the guy who can't tell you... because he's dead :wink:

One fairly common use for benzaldehyde is to make benzoic acid. The sodium salt is sodium benzoate, a food preservative in almost every low pH prepared food (including soda).

In a school teaching lab it can be used as an example of an aldehyde that makes wonderful 2,4-DNP crystals and beautiful silver mirrors (Tollen's test) but does not give an iodoform reaction. The carbonyl is present (by IR test) but it is different in position from ketones and carboxylic acids. It can be oxidized to benzoic acid in one lab session and recrystallized in another demonstrating a common chemical transformation and a useful purification methodology. It is fairly non-toxic, always a plus, so is appropriate for use in a lab full of first time organic chemists. It has a UV chromophore enabling its use to demonstrate thin layer chromatography with UV visualization (vs iodine or acid char - DANGEROUS!). And it smells nice and won't empty out the building in the event of a spill.

That's all pretty special in my opinion...

Related to What is so special about benzaldehyde?

1. What is benzaldehyde?

Benzaldehyde is a chemical compound with the formula C6H5CHO. It is an aromatic aldehyde, which means it contains both a benzene ring and an aldehyde functional group. It is a colorless liquid with a distinct almond-like odor.

2. What makes benzaldehyde special?

Benzaldehyde is special because it is a versatile compound that is used in a variety of industries. It is a key component in the production of many fragrances, flavors, and pharmaceuticals. It is also used as a solvent and a precursor in the synthesis of other chemicals.

3. How is benzaldehyde produced?

Benzaldehyde can be produced through various methods, including the oxidation of benzyl alcohol or toluene, as well as the hydrolysis of benzal chloride. It can also be extracted from natural sources, such as almonds and apricots.

4. What are the health effects of benzaldehyde?

Benzaldehyde is generally considered to be safe for human consumption and use. However, it can be harmful if ingested in large quantities. It can also cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. It is important to handle benzaldehyde with proper precautions and follow safety guidelines.

5. Is benzaldehyde environmentally friendly?

Benzaldehyde is biodegradable and does not persist in the environment. However, it can be harmful to aquatic life if released in large quantities. Some industrial processes that use benzaldehyde may also produce harmful by-products, so proper waste management and disposal are important to minimize environmental impact.