What is a Galileon? - Get the Definition Here

• Thread starter IRobot
  • Start date
In summary, the galileon is a scalar field whose action is invariant under Galilean transformations. It has interesting cosmological behavior, and can create accelerating spacetimes similar to the DGP setup.
IRobot
Hi

I have seen many papers recently on arXiv dealing about galileons, but I couldn't find a definition of what it is. So if someone could provide me one, I will be very grateful: thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure of the spelling? I tried google and all it gave me was galilean.

The galileon is a scalar field whose action is invariant under Galilean transformations

[tex]\pi \rightarrow \pi + b_\mu x^\mu[/tex]

for some constants [tex]b_\mu[/tex]. You should find more details in http://arxiv.org/abs/0811.2197

I recently saw a nice talk by Kurt Hinterbichler on galileons. Much of the information he conveyed can be found in the very recent review http://arxiv.org/abs/1104.2088

Perhaps you'll find it useful.

A galleon is the quantum of piracy, most often studied in the context of galleon-cannon scattering processes (which are believed to be mediated by the elusive "cannonball").

Galileons arise as a sort of effective field theory description of a very peculiar set of models. So the original idea was you take some 3+1 dimensional Brane that is embedded in some ambient higher dimensional (with the DGP model in mind but not necessarily limited to it) 5d bulk. You then look for effective field theory descriptions by integrating out the bulk space, and you are left with a very specific action that has a scalar that is kinetically coupled with the metric. The scalar encodes much of the residual information about the higher dimensional space, and you find that for consistency (to enforce the Vanshtein effect) you have to have not just the usual shift symmetry acting in field space, but also the gradient shift symmetry . In some sense this symmetry is a relic of the broken 5d lorentz invariance and the broken 5d reparamitrization invariance. However for the purposes of the effective field theory we are to view this as a sort of internal symmetry and forget about where it came from.

Now the interesting thing, is that the ensuing effective scalar-tensor theories inherit much of the unusual properties of the higher dimensional spacetime.

So anyway, the properties of the type of scalar fields that have this symmetry (called Galileons) are unusual, and surprisingly rich, and the ensuing program has been to study the detailed phenomenology and to fully catalog the type of modifications of gravity that are possible. What's fascinating is the Galileon symmetry enforces terms that are no more than 2nd order in derivative in the equations of motion and thus avoid the usual ghosts found in theories like Pauli-Fierz gravity. Further they obey certain nonrenormalization theorems, so that we are actually studying the exact object when you deal with quantum mechanics.

They also have interesting cosmological behavior, in that they can create accelerating spacetimes similar to the DGP setup and can thus potentially explain dark energy without the need for a cosmological constant.

Likes noir1993

Related to What is a Galileon? - Get the Definition Here

What is a Galileon?

A Galileon is a type of scalar field, or a field that has a single value at each point in space and time. It is named after the Italian physicist Galileo Galilei.

How is a Galileon different from other scalar fields?

A Galileon has a special property called "Galilean invariance", which means that it remains unchanged under certain transformations of space and time. This makes it particularly useful in theories of gravity and cosmology.

What are some applications of Galileons?

Galileons are used in theories of modified gravity, which aim to explain the accelerated expansion of the universe without the need for dark energy. They are also used in models of inflation, the rapid expansion of the universe in the early stages of its history.

How was the Galileon first discovered?

The Galileon was first proposed in 2009 by Andrew Nicolis and Riccardo Rattazzi. They were studying theories of modified gravity and found that the Galileon field had the special property of Galilean invariance.

Are there any ongoing research on Galileons?

Yes, there is ongoing research on the properties and applications of Galileons. Scientists are exploring different ways to incorporate Galileons into theories of gravity and cosmology, and studying their potential role in explaining the mysteries of the universe.