What can we say about the solution of this PDE?

• Thread starter mousakas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem the person is having trying to find a closed form solution to a differential equation. They discuss different ways to solve the equation and one solution they mention is using a change of variables.
mousakas
Hello!
I would like to find some functions F(x,y) which satisfy the following equation

[itex]
\frac{F(x,y)}{\partial x}=\frac{F(y,x)}{\partial y}
[/itex]

For example this is obviously satisfied for the function
[itex]
F= exp(x+y)
[/itex]

I would like however to find the most general closed form solution.
Do you have any ideas?
Could it be that it has to be a function of x+y only for example?
I tried to get some info by taylor expansions but I was not so succesful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider any differentiable function F(x+y)

Does it have to be nececairly a function of x+y ?

Let u=x+y and v=x-y. Then F(x,y) can be re-written as F(u,v) and
[tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial u} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial v}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial u} - \frac{\partial F}{\partial v} [/tex]

So for these to be equal we get that [tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial u} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial v}= \frac{\partial F}{\partial u} - \frac{\partial F}{\partial v}[/tex]
which reduces to [tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial v}=0[/tex]

so F is a function of u only (i.e. F can be written as F(x+y))

This is a fairly common technique for finding the solutions to differential equations like this - divine what the answer should be then use a change of variables to prove it

Thank you both for your answers :)

BUT
look also that the function in the r.h.s. is not F(x,y) but F(y,x)
For example if
[itex]
F(x,y)=\frac{x}{x+y}
[/itex]
then
[itex]
F(y,x)=\frac{y}{x+y}
[/itex]
That's what confuses me.

Last edited:
Ahhh, my mistake, I misread the question. Let's define
[tex] G(x,y) = \frac{\partial F(x,y)}{\partial x}[/tex]

Then all the equation in the OP is saying is that
G(x,y)=G(y,x).

So G is any function which is symmetric in x and y. Then integrating w.r.t x says that
[tex] F(x,y) = \int G(x,y) dx + H(y)[/tex]
integrate G with respect to the x variable. The "constant of integration" in this case is is a function which is constant in x, so can be any function of y.

An example of a solution:
Pick G(x,y) = x2+y2. Then [tex]F(x,y)=\frac{x^3}{3}+y^2x+H(y)[/tex] where H(y) is any function you want.

Thanks for the help ;)

What about the method of characteristics? Have you tried that? that should tell you that the solution are propagated along certain curves (or in this case lines), You need to know some Cauchy data first though.

Related to What can we say about the solution of this PDE?

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to multiple independent variables. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What can we say about the solution of a PDE?

The solution of a PDE is a function or set of functions that satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variables. Finding the solution of a PDE is a complex and ongoing area of research, and in many cases, an exact solution may not exist.

3. How do we solve a PDE?

There are various methods for solving PDEs, depending on the specific equation and its properties. Some common techniques include separation of variables, Fourier transform, and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods.

4. Can all PDEs be solved?

No, not all PDEs can be solved analytically. Some equations are too complex or do not have an exact solution. In these cases, numerical methods are often used to approximate the solution.

5. How are PDEs used in science?

PDEs are used to model and understand physical phenomena in various scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in engineering for designing and analyzing systems and in economics for modeling financial markets.