What Are Some Tips for Deciding Between Medical School and Physics?

In summary, the person is 24 years old and trying to decide between starting medical school or pursuing a physics PhD. They have a background in physics and have been a research assistant in a biophysics lab. They plan to learn more about the PhD program and their passion for physics in the next few months to make a decision. They are also seeking advice from others.
bkras
Hi! I'm in a bit of an interesting situation. I am 24 years old and torn between a) starting medical school in fall 2016 (I have an acceptance) or b) going back to undergrad to get a physics B.S. and then ostensibly going to graduate school for a PhD in physics.

My relevant, physics background:
-physics i (intro mechanics) and physics ii ( E&M)
physics ii (E&M) was when I first realized how much I love physics. I would find myself completely engaged and in awe of what I was learning (this is how nature works!), on the edge of my seat, and often attending the same lecture for both sections of the day (which were back to back). After this course, I was hooked.
-calc 1-4
-almost two years as a research assistant in a biophysics lab although my role has been microbiology related almost entirely.

Anyway, my current plan is to learn more about what a physics phd would entail (thus my forum question here), to take more time over the next couple months (I have time off) to go to the library and study more advanced physics, and to generally get a better sense for what the road ahead would look like. Will my passion and curiosity for the material translate over into the research side of physics (i.e. grad school and onward)?

Any anecdotes, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bkras said:
Hi! I'm in a bit of an interesting situation. I am 24 years old and torn between a) starting medical school in fall 2016 (I have an acceptance) or b) going back to undergrad to get a physics B.S. and then ostensibly going to graduate school for a PhD in physics.

My relevant, physics background:
-physics i (intro mechanics) and physics ii ( E&M)
physics ii (E&M) was when I first realized how much I love physics. I would find myself completely engaged and in awe of what I was learning (this is how nature works!), on the edge of my seat, and often attending the same lecture for both sections of the day (which were back to back). After this course, I was hooked.
-calc 1-4
-almost two years as a research assistant in a biophysics lab although my role has been microbiology related almost entirely.

Anyway, my current plan is to learn more about what a physics phd would entail (thus my forum question here), to take more time over the next couple months (I have time off) to go to the library and study more advanced physics, and to generally get a better sense for what the road ahead would look like. Will my passion and curiosity for the material translate over into the research side of physics (i.e. grad school and onward)?

Any anecdotes, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Welcome to the PF.

What experience do you have so far with Patient contacts? What motivated you to do pre-med and apply to Medical School? :smile:

Related to What Are Some Tips for Deciding Between Medical School and Physics?

1. What are the main differences between medical school and physics?

Medical school focuses on preparing students for a career in medicine, while physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world. Medical school also involves hands-on clinical training, while physics is primarily theoretical.

2. Can I pursue both medical school and physics simultaneously?

It is possible to pursue both medical school and physics, but it would require a significant time commitment and balancing coursework and extracurricular activities in both fields. Many students choose to focus on one or the other during their undergraduate studies and then pursue the other in graduate school.

3. Do medical schools look for physics coursework in applicants?

Medical schools typically look for a well-rounded science background in applicants, so having coursework in physics can be beneficial. However, it is not a requirement and other factors such as GPA, MCAT scores, and extracurricular activities are also important in the admissions process.

4. Is a physics background helpful for medical school?

Having a background in physics can be helpful in medical school, as it develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills. In addition, understanding the principles of physics can be beneficial in understanding some medical concepts, such as imaging techniques and medical equipment.

5. Which field should I choose - medical school or physics?

This ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are passionate about helping others and have a strong interest in medicine, then medical school may be the better choice for you. If you have a love for mathematics and a curiosity about the physical world, then physics may be a better fit. It is important to research and consider the career paths and opportunities in both fields before making a decision.