Was I Spotting Mars in the East?

• Thread starter TeddeF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mars
In summary: Venus and Jupiter were in the west and Mars was in the east. He thought that it was Mars because it was the only red light in the sky. However, he found out that Mars is only moderately bright and it is currently near its opposition.
TeddeF
Good morning, yesterday night I was out for a walk, and as usual - Venus and Jupiter rose in the West which is pretty hard to miss. But I also knew that Mars would rise in the East. I spotted a red shining point of light in the east and in the hazy city sky I assumed this was Mars. So my question is, was this Mars? And is it identifiable by a red glim or am I completely out sailing?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Things don't rise in the west, they set in the west. Venus and Jupiter (which are currently in conjunction) will be setting in the evening.

Mars will appear as a bright "red" point of light. It's more of an orange color to the eye than red. Mars is currently in the constellation Leo, the only other bright red star near it at the moment is Arcturus in the constellation Bootes, but Mars is markedly brighter than Arcturus (not always, but Mars is currently near opposition so it's the brightest it will appear for the next year).

I don't know what you mean by "glim" (is that even a word?) but you're correct that Mars will be to the east as Venus and Jupiter are setting in the west. Assuming you only saw one bright red point, then it was probably Mars. Any halo or glow surrounding the planet is just due to scattering of light by a hazy atmosphere, which is just water vapor and dust in the air.

Thanks for correcting me, I replaced rose with the sun setting for some reason. And yes, I believe that glim is a synonym to shine or light. But this is cool, thank you for replying - now I know :-)

At around midnight, Mars will be very close to overhead. If you are out around 8-9 pm then Mars should be about halfway up in the sky in the East.

Something else that has helped me confirm whether a particular object is a planet or star--planets as a rule don't twinkle, while stars usually do. I've been an amateur astronomer for 43 years, and still I find this a useful bit of trivia...

NeuronsAtWork said:
Something else that has helped me confirm whether a particular object is a planet or star--planets as a rule don't twinkle, while stars usually do. I've been an amateur astronomer for 43 years, and still I find this a useful bit of trivia...

Likewise been into astronomy for as long and I still haven't figured that one out ! Haha
Purposely haven't searched google ... Was hoping to figure an explanation other ways but haven't

Dave

Related to Was I Spotting Mars in the East?

1. What is the best time to spot Mars in the East?

Mars can usually be spotted in the eastern sky during the hours of sunset to midnight. However, the best time to see it will vary depending on your location and time of year.

2. How can I identify Mars in the sky?

Mars will appear as a bright, reddish-orange star in the eastern sky. It will be one of the brightest objects in that area of the sky, making it easy to identify.

3. Can I see Mars with the naked eye?

Yes, Mars is one of the five visible planets that can be seen with the naked eye. It is typically one of the brightest objects in the night sky and can be easily spotted without the use of a telescope or binoculars.

4. What causes Mars to appear red in the sky?

The reddish-orange color of Mars is due to its surface composition, specifically the presence of iron oxide (rust). This gives the planet its unique color and makes it stand out in the night sky.

5. How far away is Mars from Earth when it is visible in the East?

The distance between Mars and Earth varies depending on their positions in their orbits around the sun. When Mars is visible in the East, it can be anywhere from 35 million to 250 million miles away from Earth.