Volume charge density of earth

In summary, the problem involves calculating the volume charge density of a uniform atmosphere at two different altitudes based on given electric field measurements. The solution involves using Gauss's Law and understanding its application through practice problems. The final solution for the volume charge density is obtained by dividing the calculated charge by the volume between the two altitudes.
pyroknife

Homework Statement

In a particular region of Earth's atmosphere, the electric field above Earth's surface has been measured to be 147 N/C downward at an altitude of 260 m and 165 N/C downward at an altitude of 410 m. Calculate the volume charge density of the atmosphere, assuming it to be uniform between 260 and 410 m. (Hint: You may neglect the curvature of Earth. Why?)

Homework Equations

volume charge density = Q/V

I tried doing E=kq/r^2 for the 147 N/C and 260m altitude. -147=(9*10^9)(q)/(260)^2_ and got -0.0011 C. I divided that by volume (4/3*pi*260^3) which gave me -1.5e-11, but that wasn't right.I really have no idea how to even start this. Why did they give me 2 sets of altitude and E field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you learning Gauss's law?

yes, our prof just gave us like 20 different equations and never showed us how to use a single one.

pyroknife said:
yes, our prof just gave us like 20 different equations and never showed us how to use a single one.

Ouch! I think this problem calls for Gauss' Law which you will want to learn forward and backwards. Then do every relevant problem in your text that has answers so you make sure you understand it. The following sketch might help and if there are mistakes I hope they are pointed out.

Attachments

• gauss014.jpg
    gauss014.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 3,491
it worked thanks. But how come Volume=150A, isn't volume (4/3)*pi*r^3 which would be 150(1/3)*A?

Related to Volume charge density of earth

1. What is volume charge density of earth?

The volume charge density of earth is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume of the earth. It is typically denoted by ρ (rho) and is expressed in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3).

2. How is volume charge density of earth calculated?

The volume charge density of earth can be calculated by dividing the total electric charge of the earth by its volume. This can be determined by using the equation ρ = Q/V, where Q is the total charge and V is the volume of the earth.

3. What factors affect the volume charge density of earth?

The volume charge density of earth can be affected by several factors, including the amount of electric charge on the earth's surface, the earth's size and shape, and the composition of the earth's materials.

4. What is the significance of volume charge density of earth in scientific research?

The volume charge density of earth is an important factor to consider in various scientific research, particularly in the fields of geophysics and electromagnetism. It helps scientists understand the distribution of electric charge on the earth and its effects on the surrounding environment.

5. Can the volume charge density of earth change over time?

Yes, the volume charge density of earth can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the earth's magnetic field, movements of tectonic plates, and human activities such as the use of electricity. It is important for scientists to continuously monitor and study these changes for a better understanding of the earth's electric properties.