Visualization of rotation

In summary, the problem is to determine a matrix that represents a rotation of $\mathbb R^3$ of an angle of $\pi/2$ about the fixed axis containing the vector $(1,1,0)^t$. The conversation discusses finding a 3x3 rotation matrix and the use of the cross product to find a third perpendicular vector. The resulting equations and matrix form are presented, along with instructions for solving for the matrix. A visualization of the rotation is also shown.
kalish1
I am trying to visualize the following rotation of $\mathbb R^3$, but it is very difficult. I want to get the answer by intuition, and not by using the Rodrigues rotation formula or conjugation of matrices, etc.

Help please.

**Problem statement:** Determine the matrix that represents the following rotation of $\mathbb R^3$: an angle of $\pi/2$ about the fixed axis containing the vector $(1,1,0)^t$

Here is what I have tried in my diagram:

![Coordinate axes][1]

Should I find a 3x3 rotation matrix $A$ such that $A(1,1,0)^t=(-1,1,0)^t$?

[1]:
View attachment 1648

Attachments

• 88MKh.png
    88MKh.png
    997 bytes · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:
Should I find a 3x3 rotation matrix $A$ such that $A(1,1,0)^t=(-1,1,0)^t$?

The axis is invariant, so that should be $A(1,1,0)^t=(1,1,0)^t$ instead.

You already found a perpendicular vector (-1,1,0).
You need a 3rd vector that is perpendicular to both the axis and this one, completing an orthogonal set.
And more specifically, a vector that "turns" in the right direction.
You can find it by calculating the cross product of (1,1,0) and (-1,1,0), yielding (0,0,2).

That gives you the set of equations (note that the vectors must have equal lengths):
$$A(1,1,0)^t=(1,1,0)^t$$
$$A(-1,1,0)^t=(0,0,\sqrt 2)^t$$
$$A(0,0,\sqrt 2)^t=(1,-1,0)^t$$

Or in matrix form:
$$A \begin{bmatrix}
1 & -1 & 0 \\
1 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \sqrt 2
\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 & -1 \\
0 & \sqrt 2 & 0
\end{bmatrix}$$
Solve for A.
This is easiest to do by performing matrix operations on the right that execute a gaussian elimination, ending up with an identity matrix on the left and the actual A matrix on the right.
That is, subtract multiples of one column from another, both left and right.
And swap columns, both left and right.

Here is a picture.

rotation.png

It is done using TikZ package 3dplot.

Perhaps noteworthy for visualization is that (-1,1,0) is rotated onto the positive z-axis,
which is in turn rotated to (1,-1,0).

https://i.stack.imgur.com/WnE8K.png

I understand the difficulty of trying to visualize a rotation in three-dimensional space without the aid of mathematical formulas. However, it is important to note that intuition alone may not always provide an accurate solution.

In this case, your approach of finding a rotation matrix $A$ such that $A(1,1,0)^t=(-1,1,0)^t$ is a good start. This will indeed give you a rotation of $\pi/2$ about the fixed axis containing the vector $(1,1,0)^t$. However, this approach may not always work for more complex rotations.

It is also important to mention that there are other methods for visualizing rotations in three-dimensional space, such as using quaternions or Euler angles. These methods may be more intuitive for some individuals.

In general, while intuition can be a helpful tool in problem-solving, it is important to also use mathematical formulas and techniques to ensure accuracy and correctness in your solutions. I would recommend exploring different methods and practicing with different examples to improve your ability to visualize rotations in three-dimensional space.

Related to Visualization of rotation

1. What is visualization of rotation?

The visualization of rotation is the process of representing the movement of an object or system as it rotates around an axis. This can be done through various methods such as diagrams, animations, or virtual simulations.

2. Why is visualization of rotation important in science?

Visualization of rotation is important in science because it allows for a better understanding and analysis of rotational motion. It can help scientists predict and explain the behavior of objects in rotation and aid in the development of new technologies.

3. What are some common tools used for visualizing rotation?

Some common tools used for visualizing rotation include diagrams and drawings, computer software and simulations, and physical models or experiments.

4. How does visualization of rotation relate to other scientific concepts?

Visualization of rotation is closely related to other scientific concepts such as angular velocity, torque, and moment of inertia. It also has applications in fields such as mechanics, physics, and engineering.

5. Can visualization of rotation be used in real-world applications?

Yes, visualization of rotation has many real-world applications. It is used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and robotics to design and test rotating systems. It is also used in sports science to analyze the mechanics of rotational movements in athletes.