Using definition of Laplace transform in determining Laplace of a step function

In summary: Thank you, but I got that far into the separation, but I wasn't sure how to proceed from there, my integrals kept repeating when I tried it by parts, and I wasn't getting anything to substitute to use that wasn't still leaving me with multiple variables to integrate.
shorty1
I have a question that has stumped me a bit, i am not sure how to use the definition to calculate it, i can use the tables, but i don't think that's what is needed.

Using the definition of the Laplace transform, View attachment 153 determine the Laplace transform of

View attachment 154

I can do it with the table but i am not sure how to to this using the definition.

Help please?

:confused:

Attachments

• CodeCogsEqn (1).gif
    CodeCogsEqn (1).gif
    1 KB · Views: 59
  • CodeCogsEqn (2).gif
    CodeCogsEqn (2).gif
    909 bytes · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
shorty said:
I have a question that has stumped me a bit, i am not sure how to use the definition to calculate it, i can use the tables, but i don't think that's what is needed.

Using the definition of the Laplace transform, https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/153 determine the Laplace transform of

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/154

I can do it with the table but i am not sure how to to this using the definition.

Help please?

:confused:

We can break up the integral into two parts since $f(t)$ is a piecewise function:

\[\mathcal{L}[f(t)] = \int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t)\,dt=\int_0^2 e^{-st}0\,dt + \int_2^{\infty}e^{-st}t\,dt = \int_2^{\infty}te^{-st}\,dt.\]

This should now be a relatively simple improper integral to compute.

Can you take it from here?

Thank you, but I got that far into the separation, but I wasn't sure how to proceed from there, my integrals kept repeating when I tried it by parts, and I wasn't getting anything to substitute to use that wasn't still leaving me with multiple variables to integrate. ...

shorty said:
Thank you, but I got that far into the separation, but I wasn't sure how to proceed from there, my integrals kept repeating when I tried it by parts, and I wasn't getting anything to substitute to use that wasn't still leaving me with multiple variables to integrate. ...

In this case, you only need to apply integration by parts once. Let $u=t$, $dv=e^{-st}dt$; thus $du=dt$ and $v=-\dfrac{e^{-st}}{s}$. Plugging this into the integration by parts formula, we have

\[\int_2^{\infty}te^{-st}\,dt = \lim\limits_{b\to\infty}\left.\left[-\frac{te^{-st}}{s}\right]\right|_2^b + \frac{1}{s}\int_2^{\infty}e^{-st}\,dt=\ldots\]

Can you take it from here?

Hi there,

The definition of the Laplace transform is an integral that takes a function of time and transforms it into a function of complex frequency. In order to determine the Laplace transform of a step function, we can use the following steps:

1. Write out the step function as a piecewise function, with one part being the step function itself and the other part being 0 for all values of time t less than the step function's value.

2. Apply the definition of the Laplace transform to each part of the piecewise function, using the limits of integration from 0 to infinity.

3. Simplify the resulting integral using integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts.

4. Finally, evaluate the integral at the limits of integration to get the Laplace transform of the step function.

I understand that this process may seem intimidating, but with practice, it can become easier. If you are more comfortable using tables, that is also a valid approach. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and definitions of the Laplace transform in order to fully grasp its applications and use it effectively in problem-solving. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

Related to Using definition of Laplace transform in determining Laplace of a step function

What is the definition of Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is an integral transform that converts a function of time into a function of complex variable s. It is defined as the integral of the function multiplied by the exponential function -e^-st, where s is a complex variable.

How is Laplace transform used in determining the Laplace of a step function?

Laplace transform is used to convert a function of time, such as a step function, into a function of complex variable s. This allows us to solve differential equations involving step functions by transforming them into algebraic equations.

What is a step function?

A step function is a function that changes its value abruptly at certain points, while remaining constant in between those points. It is also known as a Heaviside function or unit step function.

Why is Laplace transform useful in solving differential equations involving step functions?

Laplace transform allows us to solve differential equations involving step functions by transforming them into algebraic equations, which are easier to solve. It also provides a more systematic and efficient approach to solving these types of equations.

What are some applications of Laplace transform in real-world problems?

Laplace transform has various applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is commonly used in circuit analysis, control systems, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. It is also useful in solving problems involving differential equations in economics, biology, and other sciences.