Understanding Order Statistics and Probability of Random RV Selection

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of selecting a certain random variable from a set of N independent and identically distributed random variables, arranged in ascending order. The formula for the cumulative distribution function of the selected variable is also presented. The conversation also touches upon the concept of order statistics and its application in problems such as antenna selection.
EngWiPy
Hello,

Suppose that we have N independent and identically distributed Random Variables (RVs) say [tex]X_1, X_2, \ldots, X_N[/tex]. Suppose then that we arrange these RVs in magnitude and in an ascending order as [tex]X_{(1)}\leq X_{(2)}\leq \dots \leq X_{(N)}[/tex]. Now, the question is: what is the probability that we select at random any of these RVs? For example, mathematically:

[tex]\mbox{Pr}\left(X=X_3\right)=??[/tex]​

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
How is X defined?

Enuma_Elish said:
How is X defined?

Suppose that the Probability Density Function (PDF) and the Cumulative Distribution Function (CDF) of these Random Variables (RVs) are [tex]f_X(x)[/tex] and [tex]F_X(x)[/tex], respectively.
Regards

I don't understand the problem. If I am going to select one variable out of N variables, why do I need to put them in "<" order first?

Enuma_Elish said:
I don't understand the problem. If I am going to select one variable out of N variables, why do I need to put them in "<" order first?

Dear,
In some problems, such as in antenna selection problem, we need to select the antenna that maximizes the performance. In order to compute this performance, we need to arrange the the Signal-to-Noise ratios (SNRs) in ascending order, and find its PDF and CDF. This is a special case, in other cases we need to select an antenna Whose SNR is above a certain threshold, but not necessarly the maximum.
Regards

Are you looking at an individual order stat. (for example, max{X1, ..., XN}, or X(N)), and asking what is the probability that X(N) = X3?

Enuma_Elish said:
Are you looking at an individual order stat. (for example, max{X1, ..., XN}, or X(N)), and asking what is the probability that X(N) = X3?

I am sorry, I might not state the problem correctly. Suppose we have [tex]N[/tex] random variables that we arrange in magnitude and ascending order. Now suppose that, using random selection cretirion, we select the [tex]r^{th}[/tex] order statistic, which is the [tex]r^{th}[/tex] smallest RV from the arranged ones. Referring to Order Statistics, the CDF of this selected RV is given by:
[tex]\sum_{i=r}^N {N \choose i} \, F_X^i(x)\,[1-F_X(x)]^{N-i}[/tex]​
I didn't understand the last equation. How did he obtain this?

That's a question I can answer. I'll use F(x) as a shorthand for FX(x) and write F(r)(x) for the CDF of the r'th order stat. X(r).

F(r)(x) = Prob{at least r of the X's are less than x}
= Prob{at least r of the X's are < x and the remaining X's are > x}
= Prob{at least r of the X's are < x} times Prob{remaining X's are > x}.

Let's say r = 3. One way that the event {at least r of the X's are < x and remaining X's are > x} could happen is, for example, {X1, X2, X3 < x} and {X4, ..., XN > x}. The corresponding probability is then F(x)3[1 - F(x)]N-3.

But it can also be {X1, X2, X4 < x} and {X3, X5, ..., XN > x}, or {X1, X3, X4 < x} and {X2, X5, ..., XN > x}, etc. Since all X's have the same F, the probability of each of these subcases is F(x)3[1 - F(x)]N-3. In all, there are (N,3) = N!/(3!(N-3)!) subcases such that exactly 3 of the X's are less than x, and the remaining N-3 of the X's are greater than x.

Now, still other ways that at least 3 of the X's can be less than x are: {X1, X2, X3, X4 < x} and {X5, X6, ..., XN > x}, or {X1, X2, X3, X4, X5 < x} and {X6, X7, ..., XN > x}, ..., or {all X's < x}.

In each of the above cases, you have (N,i) ways (subcases) to order the X's, where i is a number between r and N. The probability of each subcase is F(x)i[1 - F(x)]N-i, so the probability of each case is (N,i)F(x)i[1 - F(x)]N-i.

Summing over all possible cases (i > r), we arrive at the stated formula.

Last edited:
Enuma_Elish said:
That's a question I can answer. I'll use F(x) as a shorthand for FX(x) and write F(r)(x) for the CDF of the r'th order stat. X(r).

F(r)(x) = Prob{r of the X's are less than x}
= Prob{r of the X's are < x and the remaining X's are > x}
= Prob{r of the X's are < x} times Prob{remaining X's are > x}.

Let's say r = 3. One way that the event {r of the X's are < x and remaining X's are > x} could happen is, for example, {X1, X2, X3 < x} and {X4, ..., XN > x}. The corresponding probability is then F(x)3[1 - F(x)]N-3.

But it can also be {X1, X2, X4 < x} and {X3, X5, ..., XN > x}, or {X1, X3, X4 < x} and {X2, X5, ..., XN > x}, etc. Since all X's have the same F, the probability of each of these subcases is F(x)3[1 - F(x)]N-3. In all, there are (N,3) = N!/(3!(N-3)!) subcases such that exactly 3 of the X's are less than x, and the remaining N-3 of the X's are greater than x.

Now, still other ways that 3 of the X's can be less than x are: {X1, X2, X3, X4 < x} and {X5, X6, ..., XN > x}, or {X1, X2, X3, X4, X5 < x} and {X6, X7, ..., XN > x}, ..., or {all X's < x}.

In each of the above cases, you have (N,i) ways (subcases) to order the X's, where i is a number between r and N. The probability of each subcase is F(x)i[1 - F(x)]N-i, so the probability of each case is (N,i)F(x)i[1 - F(x)]N-i.

Summing over all possible cases (i > r), we arrive at the stated formula.

Yes, that is right.
Thanks

Good! No problem.

Related to Understanding Order Statistics and Probability of Random RV Selection

What is the meaning of "order statistics" in statistics?

Order statistics is a branch of statistics that deals with the study of the statistical properties of ordered random variables. It involves analyzing the data in terms of the ordering of the observations, rather than just the individual values themselves.

Why is order statistics important in statistical analysis?

Order statistics provides useful insights into the distribution and behavior of random variables. It allows us to identify the extremes and central tendencies of a dataset, which can be helpful in making predictions and drawing conclusions from the data.

What are the most commonly used order statistics measures?

The most commonly used order statistics measures are the minimum and maximum values, as well as the first and last order statistics. Other frequently used measures include the median, quartiles, and percentiles.

How is order statistics used in real-world applications?

Order statistics has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as finance, medicine, and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze stock market data, study the effectiveness of medical treatments, and evaluate the strength of building materials.

What are some limitations of using order statistics?

One limitation of order statistics is that it assumes a random sample from a population, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not be suitable for datasets with a large number of outliers, as it is heavily influenced by extreme values.