Understanding Green Stool: Causes and Meaning

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Green
In summary, Dave is more then likely right, bile. which is bright green as it mixes with our food. As it passes through us bacteria does its magic and breaks the bile salts down into simpler form which are darker in color.
Line
I know you guys aren't exactly biologist but,what does it mean if you get off the toilet and you see green stool?

Biology news on Phys.org
Interestingly enough,

I remember some second grader told me his "poop went green" after "taste-testing" some blue fingerpaint with a 'little' yellow on the side (:rolleyes:).

He even wanted to show his disgusting green excrement, but I was occupied with my lunch at the time.

Every time I look back at that, I remind myself that even second graders can be trying out some much more dangerous substances (.. .. ... i.e., drugs).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
So unless you know the difference between pudding and fingerpaint,

My hypothesis for your case is that the green color was probably caused by some
**indigestible plant residue**.

You can experiment or test my hypothesis by eating or putting in your mouth today or tomorrow everything that you ate or put in your mouth on that day your stools went green :smile:

Edit: Be careful with fingerpaint. Thank goodness it's non-toxic!

Line said:
I know you guys aren't exactly biologist
How do you come to that opinion, there are plenty of biologists here.
but,what does it mean if you get off the toilet and you see green stool?
You ate spinach?

Monique said:
You ate spinach?

Ahh...:frown: Looks like I'll have to scrap my nice little *indigestible plant residue* hypothesis :frown:

black licorice will also turn stool green

adrenaline said:
black licorice will also turn stool green
I've never heard of that and I eat several kilos of black licorice a year :bugeye:

No I hadn't eaten spinach or any other green vegatables. I mean really vivid Green like psychedellic or how the punk rockers color their hair.

Well, itemize everything you ate in the last 48 hours. The answer will be in there somewhere.

Really bright green... Bile from gall bladder? Just thinking out loud...

Something with green food coloring? ...Or any food coloring (a green tint might have been mixed with other colors so it didn't look green when eating it).

Dave is more then likely right, bile. which is bright green as it mixes with our food. As it passes through us bacteria does its magic and breaks the bile salts down into simpler form which are darker in color.
The material that will be passed as stool normally undergoes a progressive color change from green to more yellow to brown. So green stool simply means that the mixture of food and digestive juices is passing through the large intestine faster than normal.

Related to Understanding Green Stool: Causes and Meaning

1. What causes green stool?

Green stool can be caused by a variety of factors, including the consumption of green-colored foods or drinks, such as leafy vegetables or green food coloring, and certain medications or supplements. It can also be a result of faster than normal digestion, which can cause bile to pass through the intestines too quickly and appear as green in the stool. In some cases, an infection or illness in the digestive tract can also lead to green stool.

2. Is green stool a sign of a serious health issue?

In most cases, green stool is not a cause for concern and is simply a result of dietary or lifestyle factors. However, if you have other symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, or changes in stool frequency or consistency, it is important to consult a doctor for further evaluation. Green stool can also be a sign of a more serious underlying health issue, such as an infection or malabsorption disorder, so it is always best to seek medical advice for any persistent or concerning symptoms.

3. Can stress cause green stool?

Stress can affect the digestive system and potentially lead to changes in stool color, consistency, and frequency. However, stress alone is not a direct cause of green stool. If you are experiencing green stool and believe it may be related to stress, it is important to address and manage your stress levels in order to improve overall digestive health.

4. How long does green stool last?

The duration of green stool will vary depending on the underlying cause. If it is due to dietary factors, then it may only last a day or two until the food is fully digested. However, if it is caused by an infection or illness, it may persist until the underlying issue is resolved. If you are concerned about the duration of your green stool, it is best to consult a doctor for personalized advice.

5. What does it mean if my stool is consistently green?

If your stool is consistently green and you are not consuming large amounts of green-colored foods or drinks, it is important to consult a doctor for further evaluation. This could be a sign of a more serious underlying health issue, such as a digestive disorder or infection. Your doctor may recommend further tests or examinations to determine the cause and provide appropriate treatment.