Undergraduate college Name Recognition - Graduate School Admissions

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of undergraduate school in the graduate school admissions process for astronomy programs. The participants question whether top schools such as Caltech and Harvard have an advantage over other schools like Arizona State University. The conversation concludes that while some graduate schools may consider the reputation of the undergraduate institution, it is not the only factor and students can still succeed from any school with good grades, research experience, and strong recommendations.
Hueytwo50
If I go to Arizona State University to major in Physics w/ an Astronomy minor, get good grades (GPA ~3.0 to 3.3), do some research, and get good letters of recommendations, do graduate schools look at what school you went to for the admissions process?

In other words, do astronomy graduate programs factor in if you went to a good astronomy school (Caltech, Harvard, UC Berkeley, etc.) or an ok astronomy school (ASU, etc.) for admitting a student? (Assume that the grades are similar.) I'm curious because it seems that a Physics major at different schools are so similar in difficulty and quality, that maybe name-recognition will eventually win out.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand it, (and I could be wrong, I'm still an undergrad myself), graduate schools don't care about where you obtained your degree. They're mainly concerned with your GRE scores, GPA (~3.0-3.3 isn't really a good GPA), letters of recommendation, research, and related extracurriculars (robotics team, math competitions, etc.)

Most undergraduate programs are equal between U.S. universities.

Yes, actually, grad schools DO care where you went to college. It's one of the factors they take into consideration. A friend of mine was on the admissions committee at a top school the year I was applying, and said they basically threw our every applicant not from another top school in the field. Which did not include my (very good) liberal arts college, even though I had paid the application fee, had a high GPA, and tons of research experience (and publications).

You can still get into a top school from ASU or any other not-top school, but you'll have to do a bit more to stand out. 3.0 - 3.3 GPA really isn't good when applying to grad schools in the sciences. Aim for at least a 3.5, if not much higher. 3.0 is nearly failing in grad school, and graduate classes are a harder than undergrad. Top schools really do expect more from their students than lower-ranked schools can, and it shows in their ability when they get to grad school.

eri said:
It's one of the factors they take into consideration. A friend of mine was on the admissions committee at a top school the year I was applying, and said they basically threw our every applicant not from another top school in the field.

It really does depend on the committee since the people I know that do admissions don't care much about brand recognition.

Top schools really do expect more from their students than lower-ranked schools can, and it shows in their ability when they get to grad school.

One other thing the "top schools" may not be where you think they are.

Hueytwo50 said:
If I go to Arizona State University to major in Physics w/ an Astronomy minor, get good grades (GPA ~3.0 to 3.3), do some research, and get good letters of recommendations, do graduate schools look at what school you went to for the admissions process?

The ones I know don't. Also don't confuse "top school" with "famous school."

In other words, do astronomy graduate programs factor in if you went to a good school (Caltech, Harvard, UC Berkeley, etc.) or an ok school (ASU, etc.) for admitting a student?

It's not clear to me that Harvard does or does not have a better department in some things that ASU. There's probably some area of physics or astronomy that ASU does better than Harvard (looking at the web pages, it seems like planetary science and spacecraft instrumentation) and you can focus on that.

If you get recommendations from professors that the committee has heard of, it will help a lot. and well-known, respected professors are pretty well scattered.

Assume that the grades are similar.) I'm curious because it seems that a Physics major at different schools are so similar in difficulty and quality, that maybe name-recognition will eventually win out.

Schools may similar but students aren't.

eri said:
Yes, actually, grad schools DO care where you went to college. It's one of the factors they take into consideration. A friend of mine was on the admissions committee at a top school the year I was applying, and said they basically threw our every applicant not from another top school in the field.

What a dark world

Related to Undergraduate college Name Recognition - Graduate School Admissions

What is undergraduate college name recognition?

Undergraduate college name recognition refers to the level of familiarity and reputation that a particular college or university has among the general public. It can also refer to the level of recognition that a college or university has among employers, graduate schools, and other institutions.

Why is undergraduate college name recognition important for graduate school admissions?

In general, colleges and universities with higher name recognition are seen as more prestigious and rigorous, and therefore graduates from these institutions may be viewed more favorably by graduate schools. Additionally, attending a well-known undergraduate institution may provide students with access to more resources and opportunities, which can strengthen their graduate school applications.

How is undergraduate college name recognition determined?

Undergraduate college name recognition is determined by a variety of factors, including the school's history, academic reputation, alumni success, and media coverage. Rankings from publications such as U.S. News & World Report and Forbes also play a role in determining a college's name recognition.

Does undergraduate college name recognition guarantee admission to graduate school?

No, undergraduate college name recognition is just one factor that graduate schools may consider when evaluating applications. Other important factors include GPA, test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. While name recognition can be beneficial, it does not guarantee admission to graduate school.

Can attending a college with lower name recognition negatively impact graduate school admissions?

Not necessarily. While attending a college with lower name recognition may not provide the same level of prestige and resources as a well-known institution, it does not automatically disqualify a student from being accepted into graduate school. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors and a strong application can outweigh the potential impact of attending a lesser-known undergraduate institution.