Twins paradox need clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the twin paradox in relation to special relativity. It explains that in this paradox, one twin will be younger than the other due to time running slower for them while in motion. The resolution to this paradox is that the moving twin must accelerate in order to compare their ages. The conversation also mentions the use of different clocks to measure time and the effect of acceleration on the aging process. It concludes with a discussion on the perception of time and age in relation to motion.
Lakshminarayanan.V
hi all

i m new to this forum but would like to know a lot abt relativity.
I read through a dialogue in one of the threads on twins paradox. What exactly do you mean by saying one of the twins will be younger than the other? As far as i understand biologically neither of them is younger. Pls clarify.

Physics news on Phys.org
They mean precisely what they say: If one twin sits still while the other goes off on a rocket ship at a very high speed and then turns around and comes back, while the twins were the same age before (they are, after all, twins) when the twin who went on the trip returns he will find he is younger than the one who did not move. The "traveling" twin will be biologically younger.

The "paradox" comes from the fact that, since motion is relative, each twin sees the other as moving and, at first glance, each twin should observe the OTHER as aging more slowly. And the age difference does NOT depend upon the direction.

The resolution to the "paradox" is that, in order to return so that we CAN compare the twins ages simultaneously, the moving twin must accelerate. If you take the acceleration into account, then the paradox disappears.

Special theory of relativity isn't biased towards a particular sort of "clock". All clocks are treated the same way, and biological clock is no exception. In hindsight, its a good check for it.

- harsh

HallsofIvy said:
The resolution to the "paradox" is that, in order to return so that we CAN compare the twins ages simultaneously, the moving twin must accelerate. If you take the acceleration into account, then the paradox disappears.
Only to reappear again as the Cosmological Twin Paradox

Precise were the answers. Now i m the sure of the fact but i long for the reason. How does the aging process adapt to the motion? thanks in advance.

You will get different answers from different folks. Suggest you go to the source - Einstein's 1905 article on special relativity called the "Electrodynamics of moving bodies" - then look at part 4 - physical consequences. (you can Google it)

Lakshminarayanan.V said:
hi all

i m new to this forum but would like to know a lot abt relativity.
I read through a dialogue in one of the threads on twins paradox. What exactly do you mean by saying one of the twins will be younger than the other? As far as i understand biologically neither of them is younger. Pls clarify.

This is not a paradox at all. It is very east to understand and belive. Time runs slower for one twin, so he is younger than the other. I guess people have called this a "paradox" because they simply cannt grasp 2 twins at different ages. The fact that they are twins have nothing to do with it.

Lakshminarayanan.V said:
Precise were the answers. Now i m the sure of the fact but i long for the reason. How does the aging process adapt to the motion? thanks in advance.

As the accelerated twin moves through spacetime, his worldline curves, while the stay-at-home twin's worldline is straight. The way to calculate the proper time at the differential level is the square of dt minus the square of ds (the spatial diff). So the traveling twin always has a ds to subtract because of the curvature, but the homebound twin does not. You integrate these differentials to get the twins' experienced proper time. When they get back together the proper time of the accelerated twin, which governs his aging because it is the time he actually experiences, is less than the proper time of the stay-at-home twin. This is a real difference and if it were great enough the returning twin would still be young while the nontravelling one would be old, with wrinkles and white hair perhaps.

How is the proper time or biological time affected by the increasing mass of the traveling twin? Is it applicable for all clocks or only clocks based on light like radiation? Throw more light on the clocks used. Pls explain thanks in advance.

Any clock will do - Einstein even referred to pendulum clocks - the clocks measure time - and it is the lapsed time that is different for the two twins.

SelfAdjoint - are you saying the path is curved because one twin is continuously accelerating ...because he is flying a large circle at a constant velocity?

eNathan said:
This is not a paradox at all. It is very east to understand and belive. Time runs slower for one twin, so he is younger than the other. I guess people have called this a "paradox" because they simply cannt grasp 2 twins at different ages. The fact that they are twins have nothing to do with it.

Then you've missed the point. Time runs more slowly for which twin? "Simple" special relativity says that motion is relative. Person A sees himself motionless (everyone is motionless relative to himself) and person B moving at high speed relative to him- thus A sees B as aging less slowly than A. Person B sees A moving at high speed and so sees A as aging less slowly. That's the "paradox". Of course, as long as A and B are never in the same frame again, their ages can't be compared directly so it remains a matter of "perception".

eNathan said:
selfAdjoint said:
...When they get back together the proper time of the accelerated twin, which governs his aging because it is the time he actually experiences, is less than the proper time of the stay-at-home twin. This is a real difference and if it were great enough the returning twin would still be young while the nontravelling one would be old, with wrinkles and white hair perhaps.

I am a rookee amature so excuse my knowledge on the topic.

I had heard that there cannot be 0,0,0 cordinate in the universe, not even at the point where bigbang exploded. If this is true then why will only one twin age when the fact is that both will see each other part away at same speed ?

Some people in this thread are not taking about meeting of the twin after the high speed space trip why ? It seems they are saying that when they meet they will be of same age, when in fact experiments have already show that clocks in Earth's orbit run at a slower pace and permanently loose time ?

Why r U all confusing newbees here ?

RoboSapien said:
I had heard that there cannot be 0,0,0 cordinate in the universe, not even at the point where bigbang exploded. If this is true then why will only one twin age when the fact is that both will see each other part away at same speed ?
Well, they can't both see each other part ways at the same speed - only one is firing an engine. The other twin is stationary.

There are, however, lots of variations people like to kick around...

First I have no idea what you mean by "cannot be 0,0,0 coordinate in the universe". We can put a (0,0,0) coordinate anywhere we please!

Second: imagine two people moving, relative to each other, at 0.9c. At time t= 0, the pass through the same point and set their clocks to 0 at that instant. In that situation, you are correct- each person sees the other aging more slowly. But that itself is not a contradiction. What one person observes does not have anything to do with what another person, in a different frame of reference sees. In order to have a "paradox" you would have to bring them back together- that requires either acceleration or a very great mass. In either case you are out of special relativity and into general relativity.

HallsofIvy said:
First I have no idea what you mean by "cannot be 0,0,0 coordinate in the universe". We can put a (0,0,0) coordinate anywhere we please!
I took that to mean an abolute rest frame. Not sure though...

HallsofIvy said:
First I have no idea what you mean by "cannot be 0,0,0 coordinate in the universe". We can put a (0,0,0) coordinate anywhere we please!...

This is deveating but would you like that point to be a GMT for the universe ? Or can it be so ?

HallsofIvy said:
... In order to have a "paradox" you would have to bring them back together- that requires either acceleration or a very great mass. In either case you are out of special relativity and into general relativity.

Yes after that what ? U r the expert, arent U ?

HallsofIvy said:
In order to have a "paradox" you would have to bring them back together- that requires either acceleration or a very great mass. In either case you are out of special relativity and into general relativity.
SR can deal with acceleration as long as you are looking at the accelerated object from the point of view of an inertial reference frame. If the twins separated at [tex]t_0[/tex] and reunited at [tex]t_1[/tex] in the coordinates of some inertial reference frame, and during that time the accelerating twin's velocity was given by some function v(t) [with v and t defined in terms of the same inertial reference frame], then you could calculate how much time would elapse on the accelerating twin's clock between these two moments by evaluating this integral:

[tex]\int_{t_0}^{t_1} \sqrt{1 - v(t)^2 / c^2} \, dt[/tex]

See The Spacetime Diagram Explanation section of this page on the twin paradox for more info.

Related to Twins paradox need clarification

1. What is the Twins Paradox?

The Twins Paradox is a thought experiment in physics that explores the concept of time dilation, which is a key principle in Einstein's theory of relativity. It involves two identical twins, one of whom remains on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth. This paradox raises questions about the nature of time and the effects of gravity on the passage of time.

2. How does the Twins Paradox work?

The Twins Paradox is based on the concept of time dilation, which is the idea that time moves slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. This is due to the fact that time and space are interconnected, and as an object's speed increases, time slows down for that object. In the case of the Twins Paradox, the traveling twin experiences time moving slower due to their high speed, while the twin on Earth experiences time at a normal rate. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin on Earth, leading to the paradox.

3. Is the Twins Paradox a real phenomenon?

While the Twins Paradox may seem like a purely theoretical concept, it is actually supported by scientific evidence. Experiments with atomic clocks on airplanes and satellites have shown that time does indeed move slower for objects in motion. Additionally, GPS technology relies on the principles of relativity to make accurate calculations, further confirming the existence of time dilation.

4. What is the resolution to the Twins Paradox?

The resolution to the Twins Paradox lies in the fact that the traveling twin experiences acceleration and deceleration during their journey, while the twin on Earth does not. This acceleration affects the passage of time, leading to a discrepancy in their ages when they are reunited. The paradox is resolved when taking into account the effects of acceleration on time dilation.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the Twins Paradox?

While the Twins Paradox may seem like a far-fetched scenario, it has real-life implications for astronauts and space travel. As objects approach the speed of light, time dilation becomes more significant, and this can have practical consequences for space missions and the aging of astronauts. Additionally, the principles of the Twins Paradox are used in particle accelerators to study the effects of high speeds on particles.