Turbulence and why eddy breakups take place?

• Thread starter Vashliana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbulence
In summary, the conversation discusses the energy cascade mechanism in turbulent flow and how large eddies transfer energy to smaller ones. The questions focus on the reasons for large scale eddy breakups and the mechanism through which energy is transferred between eddies. The concept of kinetic energy at both the macro and micro scales is also mentioned.
Vashliana
How to explain energy cascade mechanisms? Why eddy breakups take place?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vashliana said:
How to explain energy cascade mechanisms? Why eddy breakups take place?
Welcome to PF.

Can you post some links to the reading you have been doing about this? That will get you a lot better responses than just asking very broad questions without many explicity definitions and questions. Thanks.

hello again
Simply I studied about Turbulent flow and the Richardson energy cascade theoretically, but from the view point of physics i don't know how and why large eddy transfers energy to the smaller one?
thanks

hello

i have some questions about energy cascade in turbulent flow. I know that large eddies transfer energy to smaller one and ..., my first question is why large scales should breakup?
second : how these eddies transfer energy and what is the eddy breakup mechanism ?
and finally: we have kinetic energy in both bulk and molecular scale, what is the difference between these two kinetic energy (macro and micro)?
thanks a lot

Vashliana said:
but from the view point of physics i don't know how and why large eddy transfers energy to the smaller one?
Think about shear forces and angular momentum, and size. Is it easier to turn (roll) a large object or smaller object?

Related to Turbulence and why eddy breakups take place?

1. What causes turbulence?

Turbulence is caused by the interaction between fluid particles with different velocities, leading to chaotic and unpredictable flow patterns. This can occur due to various factors such as changes in pressure, temperature, or velocity within a fluid.

2. How does turbulence affect air travel?

Turbulence can cause discomfort for passengers and can also impact the efficiency and stability of the aircraft. Pilots use weather forecasts and radar to avoid areas of high turbulence and adjust their flight path accordingly.

3. Why do eddy breakups occur?

Eddy breakups occur when the energy of a turbulent flow is transferred to smaller scales, causing the formation of smaller eddies. This process continues until the energy dissipates and the eddies eventually break up.

4. How do eddy breakups affect fluid flow?

Eddy breakups can significantly affect fluid flow by increasing mixing and diffusion, altering the transport of heat and mass, and influencing the overall flow patterns. They can also contribute to the dissipation of kinetic energy in turbulent flows.

5. Can turbulence and eddy breakups be predicted?

Turbulence and eddy breakups are complex phenomena that are difficult to predict accurately. However, researchers have developed mathematical models and simulation techniques to better understand and predict these processes. Advances in technology and computational power have also improved our ability to forecast turbulence and eddy breakups in various applications.